Agnostic.com

10 2

Do you think you understand the bible better than most christians?

I have found unlike most christians I read it, and know more about whats in it, and its history.

MichaelSpinler 8 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In most evangelical bible "studies" the congregants are recited upon, and told what to believe. Reading, thinking ang questioning are frowned upon, if not outright forbidden (with censure or even disfellowship as punishment ). True scholarship is in direct opposition of their professed faith. Exegesis, hermeneutics, and original thought are outright forbidden.
Yes, I am not only better educated, but have a genuinely unbiased understanding of their sacred texts.

Yes, because my first college degree was from a Lutheran college where I took five of their religion classes.

I don't know if I understand the bible better but I don't ignore the parts that make christians uncomfortable. That's probably the main difference between them and us.

Hmmm ... 'understand' the bible more?

This boils down to whether christians truly DON'T UNDERSTAND the bible (either they haven't read it or they're pig think) - or whether they UNDERSTAND it but choose to deliberately MISINTERPRET it (they're actively dishonest).

I'm not sure which is true for the majority of christians.

Yes we understand it better, we take it at face value, If most of them read it they would burn it.

Absolutely. You know, since I've actually read it. Something most of them have not. It also helps to understand the history of the bible and christianity itself, something else most of them don't have a damned clue about.

Yes, I read it 3 times in my youth, and each time with a more open mind. Once free from religion, I have been able to look back on the bible with much greater objectivity.

I am often told online that atheist are not qualified to interpret the Bible. I would argue the opposite is true. Chrstians read much dogma into the Bible that is not there without knowing it. Lets start at the beginning.

God and Jesus decide to make man and do so. Eve is convienced by Satan to eat an apple and that causes Original Sin. Right? Nope. The Genisis 1:26 says "let us" not god and Jesus. It was a snake not Satan as he would not be thought of for hundreds of years like Jesus. It was "Fruit " not an apple. Original sin was not made up unitl St. Augistine made it up in his book City of God in the late 5th century.
We at this point have not yet gotten into the fouth chapter. Imagine how much more dogma is read into the remaining 1186 chapters! It is much better for a non bias historian to interpret the Bible as they will not read religious dogma into it.

@MichaelSpinler But it is all true because the Bible says so. Its Gods word so its true. It says so in the bible. So its Gods word. (read to the tune of The Circle of Life) "It's the Circle of Bull" la la la la

Yes... I don't need to look at any more for any reason. That's over with.

bit of an oxymoron ..bible and understanding in the same sentence 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.