Agnostic.com

9 1

What is consent?

Well it the question of the moment isn't it! So what is your understanding of what consent to sex is? Is there an ambiguity around consent, do men and women see it differently? Lets see?

Josephine 7 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

the person has to be lucid and capable of giving consent - a drunken fuck with a incapable girl is simply abuse

I don't always know but I try. I've been married twice and it was different for each of them and also for those women between marriages. I know I'm rambling but what I'm trying to get at is a lot depends on how well you really know your partner. I've never had one night stands so again, I am ignorant other than I know a no means no.

gearl Level 8 Sep 29, 2018

Yes

Pretty easy if you ask me. When two or more adults of at least 17 years of age and of sound mind and body agree to engage in a specific activity, it is consent. If there is no mutual agreement for any reason what so ever, then there is no consent. Period.

Seems it’s a moving target.. No doubt I missed out on all kinds of ..opportunities because I was raised to feel no meant no. On breaks with ‘the guys’ at work, apparently, there were workarounds... Most sounded creepy and wrong, but such behavior kept them returning with more stories of conquests than I 😕

Learning that a lot of women's fantasies are to be ‘taken,’ it’s become even more difficult to figure out what they really want.. Men are expected or encouraged to be the aggressors, then it’s up to a woman to decide if ‘he’ went too fast & far?

Humans constantly attempt to override their instincts, but sexual drive is primal, desire, too ~

Varn Level 8 Sep 29, 2018

Do you mind if i explain? No, ok. Done.

Being drugged into helplessness, whether by actual drugs or alcohol, being grooed when you do not want it, etc etc...this is ambiguous to you? Really?
Again: I do not want (whatever you are selling), stop, no, leave me alone, take your paws off of me......ambiguous?? Notsomuch!

I tried to explain to my partner how often men are the biggest threat to women. One entire half of the population of the human race is a potential threat to the other (and themselves...yeah, I know). Murder of women by women is relatively unusual. Last week a group of 5 young men surrounded me on a street corner and asked me the way to the library. New students from another country, culturally unaware but even as an older woman I momentarily felt terrified. It took too long to explain, they wouldn't go and why did they circle me? I am usually a confident, outspoken person but just at that moment I was a teenage girl fighting off unwanted advances. I think men need to really understand that maleness, strength and confidence, although attractive are also potentially threatening. Simply put no always means no.

Hope you got out of that situation without any harm. Respect your comments too.

One funny story I like to tell is how I was involved in what I call "the most wonderful mugging ever". This is not meant to deflate the real serious nature of what you were writing about.

I'm on the Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil out having a good time one Saturday evening. After having had drinks with a lady it was getting late and time to go home. She wanted me to take a taxi stating it was dangerous at night - but I could see the hotel a mile away and I'm taller and stronger than most so I started strolling toward the hotel. After a minute a young guy walked next to me and I let him go ahead. Nothing happened. A minute late this young pretty lady walk up to telling that I'm really nice and start touching me. A few seconds later a second lady come running towards me with her blouse up and breasts showing. Then a third and a fourth lady arrive and they are all touching me. All ladies quite nice looking and I can't say it was a bad experience. At that moment I realized I'm getting robbed. Sure enough - a second later there are hands in my pockets and a second later they all run away. I had fortunately prepared by not bringing any significant amount of cash or any other valuables. They got away with about $20 in Brazilian Real and Argentine Pesos. The stopped and gathered to inspect their winnings some 200 feet away. I called over to them in English "Was it good for you too" 🙂. I walked back to the hotel with no further incidents.

@Stig I am sorry you had that experience (I think). At 172cm (5ft 7" ) I am also tall...for a woman. The guys (Indian at a guess possibily Sri Lankan) were all much shorter than I. If there was a threat from them it was almost an innate fear...woman alone is always in danger in front of a group of men. I remember a man grabbing out at me when I was a child and my Mum pulling me out of his grasp. I knew then I was in possible danger, like I would know not to play on a railway or handle lit fireworks. The issue is until we can dispense with this unequal power balance, women will always ultimately fear men.

@Amisja I think it was kind of funny and like telling the story - also because I did not lose much.

Your topis is much more ernest and you are right about physical strenght naturally - it does however also apply between males and possibly women.

I saw an experiement of this. THe test team found two men. One slightly below average in hight and strenght and one huge person. They sent them to a bar to see what happens if they took someone elses beer.

When the small guy took a beer from a average looking person he would be confronted and they claimed the beer back or that he'd pay for a replacement. When the big guy took the beer the just looked at him and decided it was probable best just to let it go. The guy was really huge and intimidating.

Consent = Yes.... How can that be ambiguous?

Assuming one is in a decently sober state and fully conscious - Yes.

@Stig To me that is like saying you have to be awake to drive. It goes without saying.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:189623
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.