Agnostic.com

6 2

The Compulsion

Do you force your children to follow your beliefs, or leave them to choose what they believe in?

belfo 6 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i don't have children. i can imagine what i would have done if i'd had kids; i might be more or less accurate in my imagining. what i THINK i would do is to give no religious explanation whatsoever until they were ready to go to preschool, but i would mention early on, in various discussions on other topics, that people believe a variety of things or have a variety of opinions. then when they went to preschool i would have to figure out how to inoculate them against brainwashing without myself brainwashing them. i think my stylistic prep to that point would make that easier. of course the details would depend a lot on the kid's own personality and learning style, and that it not only theoretical but moot. i have to say i have raised my cats and dogs to be completely irreligious. they hold no gods, unless they are worshiping in secret.

g

Left them to choose and they chose wisely.

Wisdom .... beautiful

Because my wife is Catholic our daughter was baptized and went to CCD for a few years. When our daughter decided it was BS my wife said it was fine if she declared herself an atheist.

gearl Level 8 Sep 29, 2018

May I know the reason?

@belfodil I assume you are talking about my wife's choice. If so she felt that, like me, our daughter should be able to choose for herself.

I let my son make his own decision. My mother waa not happy. But he did end up asking questions and i answered them without bias, and taught him about some other religions as well. He remains unaffiliated.

good

I did my best to not influence them as my parents didn’t push religion on me either. I have one son who is an atheist and one that’s agnostic. I never want to force my children into anything, they are thier own people.

You can motivate them, to science and research, They may change their minds. Maybe they will see things we cannot see

@belfodil, of course you can motivate children to do almost anything. I do when it comes to school and life lessons. Religion is “blind faith” in a hoax. I will not teach them that. They believe in science.

Nah my kids made their own decision. Daughter is atheist, middle one is radically atheist, youngest one lived with his Dad and his rabidly religious missus, a respectful none believer. They had the choice of church of england or judaism...they chose science #deadproudmummy

you are believer?

@belfodil Of what?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:189667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.