Agnostic.com

30 9

Have you ever had a partner succumb to mental health problems?

I have only had two long term relationships. Each lasted 12 years. I lost the first one to addiction, and the second to mental health issues. I could write a book about enabling. The first just kept spiraling after I was finally able to get free. The other is actually doing better because I made him leave. What experiences have you all had?

Tecolote 7 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was the one who gave up and tried to end it. My partner at the time stuck by me like a champ; it's no stretch to say I owe him my life. We're still close.

My last bf (different guy) proclaimed himself to be the very picture of mental health and stability, despite having had a rough childhood, raised in a thoroughly dysfunctional family by a delusional psychopath and an alcoholic. He's well on his way to alcoholism himself.

Some red flags (that I noted and sailed right past):

• "I'm always happy. I don't get sad."
  • "There are some feelings I don't like to feel--and I don't let myself feel them."
  • "I don't trust women."
  • "When you say 'boundaries', it sounds to me like you're trying to be in control and I can't stand that."
  • "[Yelling] is how I learned to communicate. There's nothing wrong with it."

Yeah. You need therapy worse than I do, buddy.

When I was young I was a magnet for psychotic people. I quit being an amateur and went into the mental health profession

@Tecolote I was a fixer too I decided to get paid for it. An example of my magnetism- Xmas break at college in the basement of the gym inside a sauna with the door shut. Pretty deserted campus. THe door opens and a woman in the usual multilayer psychotic garb snow covered and dripping comes in, sits down and tells me how her doctor just started her on haldol today.

@Tecolote Have you ever considered that you may be telepathically broadcasting like a siren?

@FrayedBear not if she has the foil on her head

@btroje LOL!

I lost my wife after 12 years also. She never really told me why she left, but I'm sure the reason was she finally realized I wasn't bullshitting her about how absurd I thought the idea of god was that we discussed before marriage. If that is the case, I would consider it that she succumbed to the intentional mental health problems caused by accepting lies as truth.

Yes over a 3rd of USA people need treatment but none is allowed for the illness of religion. ...dopers bipolars violent women have darkened my life but I keep turning to healthy people LIKE MY PEERS HERE www.agnostic.com

There are people here (your peers here) who also struggle with mental health issues -- did you read this thread at all? And, I'm sure other people besides me don't appreciate your lumping them, and/or people they love who have mental health issues, in with "dopers and violent women."

@BlueWave it's my experience of specific people plus the need for universal single payer health care HR 676 MEDICARE4ALL not a lumping of anyone here www.agnostic.com

@BlueWave I called everyone here healthy WHY PRETEND I'M nasty. ..r u itching 4 a fight. ?

Tough love can cut both ways. I helped my son battle the alcoholism that kept our home unstable for years, until it became time to show him the door. I still know that it helped someone, not sure who.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.