Agnostic.com

7 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah. That was a bone head mistake and a piss poor job of apologizing. I won't be watching anything she's voicing.

That's called freedom of speech/expression, we all have that right and if someone says or does something you find objectionable, move along.

Nope.

Whoa!
I think I'm going to boycott Disney's Star Wars: Resistance unless they replace Rachel Butera with someone else to voice Leia.

FIRE THAT TRUMPANZEE MORON!

I'll bet dollars to donuts that this actress was browbeaten into vocal training at some point to correct some kind of fault and is resentful.

A high-pitched speaking voice is something that can't be helped and the training to 'correct' it is brutal--and would be especially so for someone whose vocation isn't any kind of vocal performance. She's judging by a standard that simply doesn't apply to Dr. Ford. Cramming a round peg into a square hole.

Vocal fry, on the other hand, is an affectation, and a physically harmful one at that. It forces the folds into configurations that apply too much pressure and create too much friction for even a trained voice to handle for long periods of time. It paves the way for nodules which, while they aren't usually too much of a concern for non-performance types, can still result in loss of speaking voice. Unfortunately, it's become so baked into our society that most people don't even know they're doing it, any more. Additionally, care for the human voice is not exactly common knowledge. I only know what I do because of many years of voice training and independent research. My instructors were draconian-- at the slightest hint of a sniffle or hoarseness, they'd disallow me from speaking at all unless it was absolutely necessary, to avoid coughing, to never clear my throat, and to avoid dairy. It instilled in me some very bizarre habits and opinions that, at the age of 43, I've only just started to mellow on. They had words about vocal fry. Many, many virulent and pointed words. The actress, whose name I've already forgotten, is likely echoing what's been put in her head by lord only knows how many martinet-like instructors.

However, that's no excuse for rudeness and insensitivity.

I had absolutely no idea. Thank you for sharing.

Fascinating! Thanks!

Terrible taste and without any courtesy or class.

Agree.

As a voice actress....she nails it.
I too was actually quite surprised that a doctor sounded 12 and had fallen victim to "vocal fry".
To me it was incredibly weird to have a highly educated professional in my age group sound like that.
This actress is paid to do vocal impressions. Shall we FIRE all the comedians on Saturday Night Live too?
Stop expecting entertainers to be the moral voice of society.

I don't expect her to be a ''moral authority." I DO expect her to recognize the heroic effort this woman made to do the right thing. I DO expect her to differentiate between a ''comic'' opportunity and a very serious social one. I DO expect her to use her position for good...not to denigrate someone doing what must have been the most difficult thing she's ever attempted.

@LucyLoohoo Well said.

@LucyLoohoo Then you expect too much. She's an actress. She's an entertainer. No one should expect anything more than acting and attempts to entertain. What she did is NO DIFFERENT than Tina Fey imitating Sarah Palin.....except the politics and public opinion behind it.

@SkotlandSkye I disagree. She's also a woman...a voter....someone who should have the intelligence to discern the difference between someone like Palin (who AVIDLY put herself into the spotlight and proceeded to spew stupidity) and this woman. This is like the treasonous groper mocking a physically disabled person. It's rude...it's bullying.

@LucyLoohoo Politics and sweeping public opinion....
There are equal number of people on each side saying that Dr. Ford's accusations are a form of bullying -- destroying a person's career almost 40 years after an alleged incident? ....just as there were people who cried that SNL bullied Sarah Palin.
It's all politics and the court of public opinion.....

@SkotlandSkye You have a different point of view from mine. I expect people to RISE ABOVE mocking someone's voice in a situation like hers. Unlike some of the groper sheep, I can actually differentiate between situations which are appropriate and others which are just bullying.

@LucyLoohoo My point is that just as what happened to Roseanne....people are expecting way too much from entertainers and actors. There is no reason to destroy someone's career over a misguided attempt at humor. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...if we held YOUR whole life up to public scrutiny, would you survive the onslaught?

@SkotlandSkye Well stated, I agree. These days too many folks out there are quick to ruin the lives of others over some comments made, unreal...

Callous jerk

Callous is a great word choice for this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:189823
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.