Agnostic.com

4 0

You are almost always wrong, but I am almost always right.

Almost all of us tend to believe that our culture, our country, our political party, our behaviour, our attitude towards something, etc are far better than yours. We seem to have fallen victims to the straitjacketted canon of "I am always right, but you are always wrong". Is there an escape route for us from this malady?

Noyi 6 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I'll agree that we all have biases that shape the way we see the world, I personally try very hard to take a step back and look at issue's and people with logic and reason. To many people choose facts to back up their beliefs and/or opinions. Instead they should be honest and open minded when looking at the facts. Then let that lead them to a belief or an opinion. That is the reason I am an atheist and the majority of the time a progressive liberal. Most importantly it is the reason I will resist Donald Chump and his ideology at every opportunity I have!!!

There is a difference between facts and opinions and that distinction must be made here. There are certain facts that are true and “alternative facts “ are not possible, they are in fact more accurately lies or falsehoods and should be called that. On the other hand there are opinions and views which we all hold on a variety of subjects which are all subjective and nobody should be able to say any one view is superior to another, as they are merely a matter of personal opinion.

I wish so, but maybe there is not. In the movie "Seven Pounds" my now ex wife got something wrong as the plot unfolded and she said it out loud to me. It had just been explained on the DVD to full understanding, so I stopped the movie and played it back for her. Will Smith's words alone explained it. I had to play this several times and she never got it. I gave up and we finished the movie. I thought that event showed conclusively that people hear things the way they want to hear things. It's because of this that you cannot change their minds. Politics is no different.

I am pretty rigid I agree. I believe racism, sexism, homophobia, misogyny and xenophobia are always wrong and will not budge. I believe guns kill people and I will not budge from that belief. I believe that women and men should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. If prayer is allowed in schools it must be all prayer including all faiths like the satanic, spaghetti monster and voodoo and Santeria types so kids learn about all the religions. I believe we have the right in this country to not stand in allegiance to our flag. And I believe the pledge of allegiance should be said in its original form as it was intended. It is hard to waiver in your beliefs. These are not just my opinions that I can be talked out of.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:190939
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.