Agnostic.com

3 1

I change my metaphysical perspectives to fit my moods. I don't see why I shouldn't.

Aldous Huxley said this about the matter: "Officially an agnostic, I 'feel' the presence of devils in a tropical forest. Confronted, when the weather is fine and I am in propitious emotional circumstances, with certain landscapes, certain works of art, certain human beings, I 'know' for the time being, that God's in his heaven and all's right with the world."

JonJacobs 4 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a writer. I write every day, and that's kind of my work. But there are times... usually when I think I'm done for the day when something shows up... Something amazing just seems to take over and I'm filled with "inspiration." To be clear, we're constantly inspired, and even when the work is hard and difficult, we are still working under inspiration. But this is different.

At some point, it's as if the story is telling me, not the other way around. I'm suddenly just a copyist while the story opens up to me. Are these the muses? Is it the Universe's story breaking in? Is it my mind opening up? I don't know, but I refuse to bastardize that experience by forcing it into an explanation.

I have a friend who, very carefully and respectfully, tussles with his "muse" over timing. His muse likes to show up when he's in traffic and can't act on his ideas. I don't know where these ideas come from, but I'm not going to insult them by claiming it's "just my mind."

I also pray. To who? I don't know. It could be me, it could be that part of my mind that's already at work making decisions beyond my awareness and possess the power to make those changes. I do it because life is mysterious, and I love that mystery. To me, to live, is to play with the mystery. If I try to explain it away or make it "human," I close the book and never get to see how it ends.

My mom, a Christian, uses a phrase, "God spoke to my heart..." I don't, even for a minute, think it was "God," but something touched her. So let her call it God.

And to be honest, I think "God," is our default position. We've been worshiping gods since we became conscious. We're still at the very early stages of transitioning to "reason," providing we, as a species, survive this next century.

I like the bit about the muses.

I tend to do my best thinking while bicycling on quiet roads. I do some of my best thinking mowing my lawn on my ride-on mower (I've got 4 acres....Some of it's wooded but I still cut a lot of grass).

I find it odd that I do some of my best thinking on my mower as I generally don't like noise when I'm trying to think properly.

Whether the weather is nice or not Nature and the Universe remain constant. Your perceptions as viewed through the lens of your moods and emotions reveal the flaws in those human frailties that distort our view of everything. It is not the basic functions of the Universe that have changed but your perspective on them. You can be lured into a feeling of self worth and safety when circumstances warrant but there is always the chance of an airliner or meteor dropping on your head. You may feel threatened walking a dark, lonely street at night but the odds are excellent that you will arrive at your destination in one piece. Allowing what you call our "metaphysical perspectives" to change depending on circumstances is why religious zealots attempt to dissuade you after a terrible loss like the death of a loved one with fantasies about being reunited in some mythical paradise. Be aware of your vulnerability.

Changes in mood are part of the human condition. I'm just saying that I go with them.

I wonder if he were speaking literally or just figuratively. As a writer he probably used parables and similes often. The writer's of the Bible used parables and similes too for most of the stories and events of the Bible, which were easily understood in the culture in time in which they were written, but over time as their cultures and the times changed, people started to take what was written literally as being true instead of the figurative representation of a story to be told around a campfire most likely originally intended to just meant be entertaining and to teach lessons for that culture and time period.

Huxley once said (This is from memory): "One's philosophy should reflect one's tastes and instincts."

He went on to explain that having a philosophy that doesn't do that is like talking about the benefits of eating lobster when one can't tolerate eating it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.