Agnostic.com

17 3

About life

This whole “go to college, get a degree, get a job, pay your debt while investing in your 401k plan, sit at desk, work until 65+ then retire and die” life….
ain’t it.
Do you agree? If yes, what’s the alternative?

ildkom2006 4 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be a pirate. Works for me.

For many, sound about right. The alternatives run the the spectrum. Some are born wealthy and never have to work. Others become ill/unemployed and die far before they reach retirement age.

I was fortunate, I went to university in Canada where it’s cheap. I have a job I love. It’s long hours but only three days a week. It leaves me plenty of time for my boys and volunteering.

I was a realtor, mortgage broker, insurance agent and securities dealer… All at the same time! In the interest of not blowing my brains out I now work at a music store, you got to do what you love. We spend way too much time working to do something that sucks.

The alternative is finding that thing or things you love to do, what you have a passion for, and spend your life creating wealth through those interests. Have you heard the saying "If you love your job then you'll never work a day in your life"? 😉

There are people who find such a life entirely satisfying, and it's not for me to tell them they're supposed to be miserable.

What's important, I think, is that each person does what floats their own boat, to the extent possible and feasible.

That’s a really good question, and I’m not sure there’s a really good answer for it. I rebelled and did not get a degree, never had a real career, didn’t marry or have a family... and I suffered terribly for most of my life, mostly from feeling inferior or inadequate compared to people who did what was expected of them. Never from lack of food or shelter or transportation or entertainment or friends. I suffered because I thought happiness came from having a stronger command of material circumstances.

If you had asked me if I thought happiness came from material circumstances I would have denied it, because I was well acquainted with the wisdom traditions that say otherwise, but in actual practice I was still chasing that happiness that must surely come when I finally muscle my material world into proper order.

It never happened. But in struggling with it all for a lifetime I eventually stumbled across a path of genuine, “soul-satisfying” liberation from my suffering, and I’m not sure I ever would have if I had been more conventionally successful.

If I could package that liberation and give it to the world I would, but I suspect it can only be found through one’s own striving. All I can offer is to verify that it is possible.

skado Level 9 Oct 2, 2018

I never pursued a degree either but I also got extremely lucky to have a genuine knack for what I do, and to enter my profession at a time of unprecedented low-hanging, ground-floor fruit.

I had the very devil of a time convincing my children they couldn't get away with the same trick. They both wasted a full ride scholarship to drop out early and find out the hard way that I wasn't bullshitting them. My daughter recovered, got a nursing degree and is now the main breadwinner in her family. Had she not chosen to be child-poor (she has 4, ranging from newborn to teens), she would have a fairly comfortable life now.

My son did not recover, he tried to go back for a degree, but got caught in an industry sea change that made his degree somewhere between worthless and insufficient. When he died he was taking a third swipe at it. Both of my kids were object lessons in how it's getting geometrically harder and harder to break out of the lower middle class anymore. Between low pay, crap healthcare and the high cost of education / student debt, it's gotten downright grim.

As to happiness in relation to material circumstances, the science says money DOES buy happiness up to a certain point. That point being, the point at which your basic needs are met and you feel reasonably secure against contingencies. In the US today that point is supposedly somewhere in the general vicinity of $75K/yr for a single wage earner. Below that, you WILL experience some level of desperation; above that you won't see any more "lift". Given that even the $15/hr minimum wage being pushed by progressives only amounts to about $30K/yr, that doesn't bode well for society either.

Like you, I've gotten my mind twisted around to where I have a species of contentment, but worry about my daughter and grandchildren and their prospects ... and sadly, take comfort in that my son is now beyond the reach of his suffering and struggle.

Depends on the degree. Mine is near useless as far as money comes (automotive technology). First job I got I was offered $8/hr. Might as well have dropped out of HS, got a job, and worked my way up. Why I'm going back to college for a second degree.

Well, that "great dream" that you have described is becoming more and more unattainable for younger people, with college tuition costs skyrocketing. Perhaps it's more about finding a need that you can fill, and then filling it. We all have our own designs and patterns.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 2, 2018

My friend did the alternative and died at 42 years. I think its not about getting what you want, but wanting what you get. Be grateful for your shell and stop expecting it to be different, love your job, especially if you get the chance to help others. If you can't then make your free time special and always remember what my old Mum said, "there's no pockets in shrouds"

I sometimes fought too hard with myself about the work I was doing. What I found (at least in a couple of times) was that by fully accepting my 'plight', by working at excelling at what I was doing, it paid off for me, not just in terms of advancement but importantly in terms of my enjoyment of life.

cava Level 7 Oct 2, 2018

In 22 years at the same company, I've only loved 8 of them. Those were the years I was doing communication graphics. Once that position was folded into a different department, I was "re-purposed" into several other positions that pay the bills and leave me empty inside.

I have no children despite years of trying but if I did, I'd make sure they knew the real story about how life works. Hard work and talent are certainly useful and should be not be ignored, however, so much more of it is contingent on who you know, how you look, and how lucky you get. No one ever tells you about that stuff. It took me decades to figure out the real story.

I managed to work around some of that, and I've had a good life. It's too long a story to explain it all right here, though.

Imitate the Swedes; nobody becomes filthy rich, education is matched to ability & desire, having & raising children is rewarded ..and isn’t their satisfaction of life higher than other nations? Stop short of their overwhelming immigration, and that may be as good as it gets..

Varn Level 8 Oct 2, 2018

Really wish I'd gone into plumbing or HVAC or had been an electrician or a mechanic. A lot less student debt and coming out making damn good money.

I encouraged both of my sons to consider service jobs. I told them "if you are a plumber, electrician, HVAC or mechanic, you will never be without work. No one wants to pooh outside, sit in the dark, sweat in summer or freeze in winter, or walk because the car doesn't run. You can work for a company and have side work in any of those positions." Too bad I wasn't aware of this advise when I was a kid.

Thanks I would rethink my career choice

I mean, I think whatever works for you is 'it'. Some people like the comfort of a daily schedule and routine.

I am not one of those people. I get to work from home half of my work week and I still don't really enjoy it as much as I used to.

For me, the ideal situation would be to have a hustle making me a decent amount of money while requiring little of my actual weekly time. I got a lot of hobbies I would love to invest more time into!

Unfortunately for most people the need to earn money to live on stops them from following their heart and going off on an adventure. With unlimited resources we could all chuck the job in and do as we please, but for most, sadly the above scenario is the stark reality. When children come along it is even less likely that we can just take off on a whim, but eventually most people end up retired like I am, and now I am able to do as I please with my time, and no need to do the nerve jangling “commute” to work every day....hurrah!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191832
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.