Agnostic.com

22 9

Today I heard a new Rule. We all know The Golden Rule, right? "Do unto others as you would have them do to you."
So now there is The Platinum Rule: "Do unto others as they would want done to them."
It goes a step beyond.

Dick_Martin 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same." George Bernard Shaw Maxims for Revolutionists

Kimba Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

I think the Golden Rule is best expressed thus: "Treat others the way you would want to be treated".

Yeah, I think you've got the spirit of it there.

I've always had a problem with these kinds of proverbs. What if I want someone to kill me? Other way around? I get the point, but I think any behavior can be justified using this kind of logic. I prefer the Hypocratic oath.

Unfortunately, the oath still depends upon interpretation: do no harm according to whom? For instance, abortion, circumcision, and so on.

I think it's more concise to just say "Do no harm." @ellendale is this abortion forced on the woman? Is this abortion a result of a rape? Morality is subjective. In this case it means don't do things to others that you would consider harmful to yourself. In a cohesive society most people agree on what harmful is. If they can not decide on what that is, they should look to science. Sciences like medicine. The oath is a philosophy of ethics based on objectivity.

Doesn't work for kids... just say'n

Also realized that it wouldn't apply to drug addicts either. Hum, kids and drug addicts...

@marmot84 Appropriate! One fucks with their own heads; the other fucks with ours.

I am confused. Why wouldn't it work for kids?

@Dick_Martin I guess you've never had kids then.

I thought the golden rule was , whoever owns the gold, makes the rules.

I just finished this book again yesterday and the discussion on the Golden Rule really rings try to me. We can give whatever reasons behind our behavior we want, but it really comes down to our personal choices. Richard Bach on "The Golden Rule" in his book "Illusions":
"What the Rule means, and how we apply it honestly, is this: Do unto others as you truly feel like doing unto others."

I don't think there is a way to pare down one's morality to a single statement. Sometimes people want us to treat them in ways that we are not comfortable with, and I don't think we are obligated to do that. If you are going to try to state your moral code in a very short manner, I would suggest sticking with something along the lines of not intentionally causing harm to another. That has its flaws and difficulties too, but I think it is a little better. Just my $.02.

I get it but it sounds like just do what other peole want. The first sounds like don't do things to peole that you would not want done to you.

MsAl Level 8 Jan 29, 2018

Here's a much more practical version. "Don't do to others what you'd not like done to you"

Sounds narcissistic

Sounds a bit presumptuous. How about, "Do unto others as you see them doing unto others"? Just be careful what you look for.

Sounds a bit presumptuous. How about, "Do unto others as you see them doing unto others"? Just be careful what you look for.

I get the general concept without dissecting it. I like that

People are stupid. What they want to be done to them may very well be silly. Do onto people what they deserve to be done unto them irrespective of what they want to be done onto them or what you want to be done onto you.

I'm not going to sink low enough to give some people what they deserve.

@Kimba Why not

@saketagrawal because at the end of the day liking myself is far more important than being miserly or vindictive so as to give others only what they deserve.

It's a catch-22. In intercultural communication, this is the rule. However, in order to know how someone wants to be treated, you need to understand the workings of the other person/culture. Once you understand someone, it is much less likely you will wish that person I'll.

But said Platinum Rule would not be doing what you think is correct but what they want....so, no PR in my book.

Sorry,,, when someone asks me to dress up in black leather, then tie them up and spank them,, I'll laughingly decline.

That's great until you run into someone who thinks they're entitled to more than they reasonably are.
I'll stick with the Golden Rule. Platinum is too expensive.

I think the "silver rule" is more powerful still, "do NOT do to others that you would NOT want done to you"

@jlynn37 I actively practice this.

I first heard about it Ina movie called blood brothers...

Perhaps a more practical golden rule: Do unto others before they do unto you!

It’s easy to take this out of context if you take things literally. It’s like kimba said, different taste.

Does that include an ounce of lead for wannabe suicides?

Most suicides don't want to die just looking for some help and don't know how to ask. You would have to go a bit deeper and do what they really want and help them through whatever it is instead of what they say they want.

@MsAl Kind off spoils your platinum rule. At a very young age I concluded that I was not put here to be the prop, entertainer, excuse, plaything etc. of other people, though it does mainly seem to be women who have this belief about men. My attitude changed after my aunt lied to the four and a half year old me to protect her adultery.
🙂

@FrayedBear Not my platinum rule. I just know a bit about people who are suicidal. I've been around mental illness and took quite few psychology classes while in nursing school.
I've known many people of both sexes who were unfaithful in relationships. In my my experience it isn't only women who want to use a partner as a prop or a plaything. It's universal. Did your aunt want to commit suicide?

@MsAl Not as far as I'm aware. I was 41/2 years old being lied to about her lover being her husband to prevent me from telling the rest of the family. If my telling the truth gave the playgirl leech depression and suicidal thoughts I really could not give a brass razzoo. Her fondness for alcohol was shared by her only son who drank himself to death (IMO an ugly way to suicide particularly if a co-dependent) in his early 50's still expecting the world to simply give him what he irresponsibly wanted. I don't think that I ever chose to see his mother again after the age of 15 even though I was asked to.
Like I say "I am not responsible for the behaviour of many nor their recovery".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.