Agnostic.com

4 0

Doubt and fear

Do you doubt, because you are afraid .. Or you are afraid because you doubt?

belfo 6 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As others have said better than I can ... this is a false dichotomy that suggests everyone both fears and doubts, and then simply questioning the direction of an assumed causal arrow between them.

In point of fact justifiable doubts are healthy things and not to be feared by rational thinkers, nor are they cased by fear. Justified doubts are caused by a lack of valid evidence to substantiate the thing doubted.

Quite the opposite. Fear seeks to eliminate all doubt, and the meek, out of fear, avoid troubling questions that might cause one to doubt. Fear is one of religion's most effective tools against doubt.

Neither. I doubt things until I have evidence to the contrary. I have no fear of doubt whatsoever. When I see an advert making claims about a product I have a healthy scepticism until I find evidence to back up the claims.

And I an certainly not afraid of doubt.

If you are referring to a god claim, then I have no doubt and no fear. There is insufficient evidence that any of the gods desribed by the various religions do. or can, exist. No doubt. No fear.

Neither. Those are false choices. You can doubt and still NOT be afraid! On the reverse of that option are many religious believers who believe because they ARE fearful/afraid.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:192640
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.