Agnostic.com

27 5

Doubt vs gullibilty

Is it wrong to cause believers to doubt their faith?
If so, please explain why, I am well aware there are some believers that can't be reasoned with but there are those who can be reasoned with. So, if it's wrong to cause doubt, then please explain how it's right to make people believe things unsupported by evidence?

GodlessWahid666 5 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it can sometimes be wrong. My mother was a firm believer, but I'm not sure that she was actually in the 'unshakeable' category. So I always tried to be careful, when discussing religion and theology, that I did not strive too assiduously to instil doubt in her. I think that would have been cruel, since her quiet faith meant a lot to her.

That said, I think in most cases it's not wrong to try to cause doubt, and it certainly doesn't make it right to force people to believe stuff.

No its not wrong to get believers to doubt there faith. We are trying to lead them to the path of enlightenment. To free them from brain washing.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:192853
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.