Agnostic.com

12 9

QUESTION Fossil Discoveries Challenge Ideas About Earth’s Start

A series of fossil finds suggests that life on Earth started earlier than anyone thought, calling into question a widely held theory of the solar system’s beginnings.

I found this very interesting.

ballou 8 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for the article. Very fascinating!

You’re welcome..

That's extremely early. That means life existed on Earth almost as soon as it possible could have existed. (Actually, a bit before in the time scale of the previous geological time models!)

This is extremely interesting. Where did this life come from? Did it develop so quickly on the ancient Earth?

My personal view is that it did not. I suspect the galaxy is teaming with life and transpermia is the source of life on Earth. Perhaps material from interstellar sources. I like this hypothesis because it widens the scientifically possible environments in which life originally started.

I like Quanta Magazine. This is an interesting article: thanks for sharing!

You’re welcome..

We assume that homo sapiens are the only sentient race to inhabit the earth. This is primarily based on our anthropomorphic time concept of where we are in the history of earth, seemingly incapable of understand that similar evolutionary evolution may have occurred in the past millions of years.
If interested in this subject look up the archaeology of the Builder Race in Antarctica.

There are, and have been, many sentient species on Earth besides homo sapiens. Maybe sentient is not the word you're looking for.

Alrighty...

Well whats a few billion years out amongst friends. Life did start at some point ,can anyone comprehend a million years let alone a billion?

True!

I wonder if some distant future alien would visit this planet and be able to determine when (so called) intelligent life went extinct?

There is so much more to be learned about our planet and the solar system we inhabit.

Betty Level 8 Jan 29, 2018

Nice! Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

The diverse conditions in which life can be found never ceseases to amaze me. I'm interested to see how this develops further down the road.

Wow..life is amazing, ain't it?

Good stuff.

godef Level 7 Jan 29, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19376
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.