Agnostic.com

4 0

Chief Wahoo is finally gone...just looking for opinions. If the Native Americans were the wealthiest people in this country..do you believe the logos of two professional franchises would have been as big of an issue?

SamMcGlone 6 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been having The Chief Wahoo debate with my older son. We are from NE Ohio so (of course) we like our hometown teams, so Chief Wahoo has been a beloved mascot all of my son’s life (and my life - my grandfather loved the Cleveland Indians). My son does not understand why some people find Chief Wahoo offensive. I admit that I used to be on Team Wahoo as well..... but at some point in time I realized that I needed to put myself in the shoes of the offended people and try to see the issue from their perspective. I now feel that (like many outdated traditions) it is time to retire the racially insensitive caricature of American Indians. I think retiring Chief Wahoo is the right thing to do and a positive step forward in evolving sensitivity towards other cultures.

The point is they are cartoon characters they don't represent anything real.

I do not see an issue to begin with. They aren't about real people their like a cartoon or a movie character. I don't see anybody bitching about Vikings, Mountaineers,, Patriots, Buccaneers, Cowboys, 49ers, or Saints. These are particular groups of people

The Chief Wahoo logo is a rather clownish portrayal of native Americans. I don't have a lot of strong feeling about this issue, but I think it's understandable that they would be offended by it;

The difference being that, with the possible exception of Cowboys, they really have no representative group that could complain.

Honestly, if they were the wealthiest people in this country, those logos would probably never have existed.

Duke Level 8 Jan 29, 2018

@SamMcGlone It's understandable why Native Americans would find the logo offensive, since it is a derogatory and disrespectful depiction of them.

@MST3K It's a cartoon character it doesn't represent anything real.

@MikeFlora OF course, it's like a cartoon character, but even something isn't intended to be offensive, it still can be.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.