Agnostic.com

4 4

Hiking in the Sierra

Clear water and coarse white sand,
was quite a sight for a young man.
Gurgling blue fresh, it was Sierra Nevada's best.
The smell of pine in summer air made the dusty trail easy to bear.
The canteen was not empty, and thirst quenched;
in this nature was a kind we would attest.
The tent pitched and fire burning,
and the coffee can was filled and boiling.
Meager rice and dehydrated soup,
without despair for a few brook trout
were destined for our fare.

Sleeping in our bags dream in wonder
of what the next would bring.
Shivering in the sack and greatly relived
from the crackling sound and and the smell of burning pine.
As I remember these were moments of my partner being kind.

Two coffee cans of water boil, for mountain coffee,
and Quaker instand oatmeal, maple and raisin
if my memory does serve, and a packet hot chocolate
for extra reserve.
Breaking camp, and packing packs, dutifully
the ashes were left cold.
With great anticipation and renewed energy
we struck out to see what adventure may unfold.

Twenty more miles of trail to walk twenty more mile of trail,
walk one down and kick it around nineteen more
miles of trail to walk.
With our cadence our miles quickly slipped under our feet.
In the cool morning air we take our break,
and check our sore and blistered feet.
We welcome a sweet peace of chocolate, and refresh
with the cool blue water of Sierra Nevada's best.

Soon we are charging up the trail,
With our cadence booming as young with out a clue,
knowing that lunch was long over due.
Smooth polished white granite slab set in such
a way to make perfect table and chair.
A perfect spot indeed with smell of Sugar Pine and
and manzanita apples for vitamin for extra "C".
Sardines and kippers, crackers too, and best not forget the the small box raisins we are due.
Meager ration one could say, but to satisfy the hunger,
it is a small price to pay.

With lunch over we begin our last charge.
In due time our new camp is sublime, and we catch a
few more trout and gather berries to fill our pouch.
We look once again to tomorrow, for things from nature to borrow.

Leutrelle 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cool.

Hiking is one of life's great pleasures. Spent some time on the trail before so I can relate.

Great imagery. I walked along with you. Thanks.

Sounds like fun. I used to go hiking on the Appalachian Trails, but the heavy backpack..half my weight..made my knees buckle.

I'm 5' 3" and my ex is 6' 1" so he was always getting ahead of me, then waiting impatiently for me to catch up.

I was annoyed, so invented a device I call "the gallopers," that gives people the four-footed advantage, and I can lope for hours up the steepest, stoniest trails, even with a heavy backpack, without tiring, or slipping, at about the speed of a slow jog.

My ex was now annoyed that I was literally going in circles around him on hikes, so he complained until I made him a set of gallopers, then he, with his much longer legs, was still able to get ahead of me, then act impatient as I caught up.

Oh, brother.

I would like know more about "gallopers". Sounds intriguing.

@Leutrelle They are really weird. Using them is like visiting a chiropractor..it crunches your spine loose so that you become very limber. Just using the gallopers a few minutes would make my spine so limber, I can put my palms flat on the floor and hold them there, even at 65 yrs old. But when I didn't have the gallopers with me for couple of months, I had to bounce to reach my toes, but I could only touch them briefly.

When I'm using them, I resemble a deer, so both birds and wild animals allow me approach closely, which is great for my wildlife photography, plus the gallopers can steady the camera equipment as well.

Once, while galloping in a jungle area near where I lived in Saraburi, Thailand, I noticed I was being hunted by a pack of wild dogs. The leader dog was instructing his minions, sending them out around to encircle me, so I quickly stopped using the gallopers, holding them away from me, and talking, to show the dogs I was human.

The leader stopped in confusion and the pack began to mill around, so I resumed galloping, but as soon as I did, the pack started to regroup again, so I yelled and threw rocks at them.

But I still might get to license the gallopers, so I should avoid disclosure by describing them to you and how they work. I haven't licensed them yet because of some new patent laws that have a catch-22 that would prevent me from making a profit.

@birdingnut I was just going to suggest there may be a market for them🙂 I hope one day to see them.

@Leutrelle Thanks! And, yeah..there is a list of people who are angry with me for not having licensing them yet.

But since I also live in Thailand, that part has made me hesitate as well, in case licensing companies ask me to do a presentation in person.

But the patent law issue thing is what has made me hesitate the most.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19562
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.