Agnostic.com

6 0

Has anyone ever quit their job to follow their dream? Got any tips or precautions?

I'm well aware that even being able to ask such a question is flaunting my privilege, and I'm very sorry for that.

At the moment, I have some money saved up, a good bit invested, but also an expensive apartment and will soon be required to help support someone on a more fundamental level than I currently am, i.e. will have much higher expenses. Despite all these expenses, I have my own independent game development company and am trying to get it off the ground.

Frankly, I really dislike my main job - not the company, nor even the team. In fact, both the company and my team specifically are absolutely amazing and I love them. But the job itself is an absolute grind in a technology I'm no longer passionate about. While game development sounds like much the same - because in my case, it's still all programming - it is not only something I'm far more passionate about, it's something that in theory could make me a lot more money (although it isn't terribly likely - I believe in the games I'm making, but statistically speaking, new shops only make about $2,000 in their first year).

What I'm worried about is that I'll be giving up a company and team that I love, and exchanging it for something where I end up not making enough money to support myself, let alone anyone else.

PolyWolf 7 Oct 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I quit my job in Nov 2017 without any sort of backup plan or another job waiting. I didn't care, I just couldn't handle the soul-crushing blah of it anymore. I immediately reduced my living expenses by half. Since then, everything fell into place and I am so much happier. I have a new gig working half the hours for twice the pay, I can work from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection (a HUGE bonus for a travel junkie), and I'm doing something I enjoy where I'm constantly learning. Not even a shadow of a regret.

My advice to you is:

1. Take the leap. You'll proabably never feel "ready", but there is magic in taking the leap anyway.

2. You'll know when you're ready enough b/c it will feel like your soul is slipping away. Something about risk - i.e. taking a leap without a guarantee - makes people feel alive. (me, anyway)

3. Get rid of your expensive apartment. Downsizing can help minimize a cluttered home and a cluttered mind. It helped me clarify my values and what was important enough to make the cut. I got rid of 50% of the stuff I had - clothes, books, furniture, gadgets I didn't use...and I don't miss them even a little. They were just weighing me down.

Rule #1) make sure you have a backup plan if things go south. The money you have saved up won't last forever.

What was the result!? How are you doing?

@PolyWolf I’m a professional actor, started and run my own theatre company and teachcollege theatre part-time to close the gaps. It’s wonderful. And tough sometimes. My business is pretty unforgiving. But, I can’t do anything else. I’d rather fail at this all day, every day than succeed at the work-a-day. Advice: BE ORGANIZED!!!

@brainyactress I will take that advice to the bank, semi-literally. Thank you! You're remarkable, and I love your style.

I have the same problem. Except I would like to change careers, but know I will never make tbis kind of money again. My job isn't horrible, just no longer fun or interesting, so I want to try something different. The problem is I will be very much paycheck to paycheck if I leave. Tough choices. At least you have potential in your change. Is there any chance you can keep your old job part time to keep that door open? Not optimal, but could give you some security until you see hiw things pan out. Alternatively could you start tge new company on a part time basis? It wouls such having two jobs in either case, but might be worth it for some period of time. Good luck.

I'm not sure. Genessa suggested something similar. I'm possibly going to explore that. Thank you for the reply. I did start my company on a part-time basis, it's just fairly difficult to put in as much effort as needed to program my games, especially because my main job often goes well over the normal working hours.

I quit a decent job, university and moved to another country with $300 on me. The sooner the better. While you have that burning desire just go for it!

stupid question i know, but there's no way to go halfway with this? take a hiatus or temporary cut in hours with the current job and do your startup too? i have not done this, no, so i am in no position to give advice. i've quit jobs recklessly with nothing lined up, and i took a change leaving a good deal of my life behind when i moved to japan for what turned out to be a decade, but i don't think that will help you. i hope you can find your way -- i hope it works out!

g

I have considered asking it, but my team is already restricted. Leaving them would likely be devastating for them, not because I'm particularly good (I'm not bad, but I'm not as productive as some), but simply because they are woefully understaffed. So that's another thing I forgot to mention. Taking a cut of hours would be better than leaving outright, but I wouldn't know how to handle it. I do wonder if there's something there though, and may look into it. Thanks. This was solid advice.

@PolyWolf glad to help, even by accident!

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.