Agnostic.com

8 1

Would you date a person with a terminal illness?

As someone with a terminal illness this is a topic that regularly comes up in support groups, and therapy sessions. Is even a point in trying to date after you've been diagnosed? Even if, like me, you are currently stable. I'm wondering if there is a social stigma about it, or if I'm just imagining that there is one in order to self-sabotage myself?

SarcomaSlayer85 4 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If I really love the person I'll spend as much time as I possibly can.

I would. Sometimes you just click with someone out of nowhere. I'd feel worse if I had feelings for someone I thought were mutually and never expressed my feelings to them because I was sacred of loss.

I think I would, but, it would be a very difficult thing to handle knowing that a person you like, enjoy being with and would like to take a relationship further with is going to leave you. The closer I grew to the person the more I would grieve knowing I was going to lose them. It is a natural tendency for people to pull away from someone that they know is going to die. In the end though it comes down to this; love is always worth the risk that you will lose someone, so, I would take that risk of knowing my heart will be broken.

Nope but I would befriend one or more.

SamL Level 7 Oct 22, 2017

Thank you for your honesty.

I myself once had had leukemia. From experience I know that most persons who are that ill just don't have the energy to "date."

However, if they were up for it, I might, if we enjoyed the same interests.

During my treatment and immediately after the thought of dating was repulsive, and I viewed it as a very selfish thing that I would be doing to someone. But I've been in remission for over a year now, and my scans have been good. That makes that part of me that I'd shut down for so long, want to turn back on. I joined this site not primarily for dating, but to find like-minded people and possibly some new friends. If I happened to connect to a particular person I'm willing to see where it could go. Either way I would be completely honest with that person.

Friendship is about the enjoyment of life, not its length. Purse it always!

mzee Level 7 Oct 22, 2017

For me, it's not a stigma thing. I don't give a rat's ass what people think. However, I've already buried one husband. I am not sure that I can walk that particular road twice.

Zster Level 8 Oct 22, 2017

My condolences for your loss.

I don't think that it is the sort of thing that you would announce front and centre when introduced, and if I had had a date with someone who turned out to have a terminal illness I would probably be drawn somewhat to their courage in dealing with their situation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.