Agnostic.com

5 0

How do you make friends if you aren't a drinker?

I sobered up three years ago almost to the day. The problem is that Philly is a major drinking city. I've considered seeking out things like Skeptics in the Pub here, but I'd rather find some place that isn't literally everyone drinking and having a good time. I like the good time, obviously, but little else about that atmosphere.

There are some people on this site I've considered reaching out to, before you ask, but frankly, they're far smarter and better-looking than I am, so while I wouldn't necessarily be reaching out for a date anyway, I find it unlikely they'll respond in the affirmative. Perhaps that's just outright cynicism, or cripplingly-low self confidence on my part, but it's still there.

PolyWolf 7 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Check meetup.com, you can find groups in your area for things you're interested in. Met some nice people that way.

Karaoke! Even if you do not sing, audience participation & appreciation is needed! Always a topic to start conversations, go a couple of times, everybody will know you.
I drink club soda, myself.

It is very hard to make adult friends. It is also discouraging to try and fail. But ultimately it is worth the time and effort. You could try Meetup.com or take a college course. As someone who struggles with lonelyness and very casual friendships, I keep trying to make more significant friendships. Not having much luck. I think you look fine and seem to write acceptably and have reasonable things to say. If you find someone you want to reach out too, it could be worth the effort. Try not to stress or overthink it. I speak from experience on that, lol.

I have no idea, as I'm horrible at meeting new people. Maybe you can knit one? Post-its and glue? May I suggest glitter?

i'm neither single nor a drinker but i spent most of my life single and not drinking. it never occurred to me that, say, going to a bar was a likely place to meet friends, especially since back then everyone was smoking and i have asthma. a lot of fun, i was! i made some friends at school, at work, on my street, wherever i happened to be living, and not a whole lot at one time, usually -- but the ones i made tended to last a lifetime. one of my best friends i met while we were both working on a play, outside of any other organized setting (not a school play, for example). i just answered an ad in the free paper. not into theatre? there are so many things in which one can be involved that involve gathering. that wasn't even why i was doing it. i had been a theatre major until i switched to film and i was just doing anything i could get to do, paid or unpaid -- yeah, paid, who was i kidding? always unpaid! but it's amazing what a broad spectrum of people you meet. if you go expecting nothing but the activity, the work, the play, whatever it is, you get your satisfaction from that and you also get to hang out with human beings. once in a while another human being is happy to hang out with you, too!

as for the insecurity, i reeked of it. i was painfully shy, i was. i got over that quickly when i ended up teaching in japan. i think that's an extreme measure to take if you aren't otherwise planning to go, but the thing is, laugh at yourself, take a deep breath, don't expect anything, and go out where people are doing stuff, do the stuff, don't worry about their liking you, and some people will like you just for that!

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:196276
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.