Agnostic.com

8 14

Yes we do have peace

I hope all are patient, as I learn to maneuver properly.

Not so much a question, but a statement. I was involved in fundamentalism for many years, and heard, those that don't know Christ, don't know peace when it comes to death. I lost both my parents after I freed myself from the cage I was in.

I spent the evening with a friend, we both talked about losing our parents. She, still feels so much pain, she is liberal, but with Christian beliefs.
I came home and wrote about something that continues to make me feel good about my dad, his life. When I write it, people respond with, "I understand your pain."
I don't believe they understand, this is my comfort, I love who my dad was, people loved him. How can that leave me with pain. Anyway, this is my memory, that helps me deal with death. FYI.. I still talk to him daily..

Spending the evening with a friend, we have both lost parents, and spent time reflecting on our loss.
I typically look towards something positive with this loss, I am fortunate, with Daddy, it’s always so easy to find the positive.
With so much hate and division, I think continually back at a moment as my Dad lay dying in Hospice. I was privileged to be witness to a rare and genuine love.

Years ago, when Dad was still working, he became acquainted with a person that would become more then a dear friend. Willie, a former WW2 Nazi Soldier had moved with his Canadian wife to my home town. My Dad, a WW2 veteran and Willie became more then friends.
When I was sitting in Hospice with my Dad, Willie, an ex-Nazi soldier, leaned over my Dad, a WW2 American soldier, gave my Dad a gentle kiss on his forehead, and said, “goodbye my brother, I’ll always love you.”
That vision of love and respect lingers in my memories.
Willie gave the toast at Daddy’s wake, he doesn’t know this, but his love for my Dad makes my heart warm, and brings me to tears. These two wonderful men had a rare love and respect, something lacking in families and friends. I know I am fortunate to have this wonderful example of the essence of humanity and respect.

VillageMom 5 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I lost my dad to a lingering illness when he was only 56. I miss him every day. Even through the sadness of missing him so much, I find joy in the knowledge that he was an excellent man worthy of being missed so much. I was lucky to be his kid.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 15, 2018

Your story touched me deeply, especially the part where Willie, the ex-Nazi solder leaned over your dad and gently kissed him on his forehead and said, "goodbye my brother". I couldn't help but shed a couple of tears. I can't say I had that kind of memory with either of my parents. my father was an alcoholic and my mother abandoned me along with the rest of my six siblings. I was never adopted, but I made it through life so far, and am doing well. I am happy for you that you have those sweet and fond memories.

There was an episode of "The X files" where a Genie gives Mulder 3 wishes, and he wishes for Peace on Earth. Suddenly all people are gone. He had to spend another wish to get them back.

That would be about the only way! ?

Good for You... Peace is Good, Great and Everything Else You can Imagine. As a former military... I Salute Them and You. Thanks for Sharing.

Such a lovely story, thank you for sharing... I lost my mother a month ago today. I was with her the last few days, and I remember her saying how much she loved me and was proud of me, and I could also say to her how much I loved her and was grateful I was for her love and support and that she was my mom... We take for granted how precious our time is here and should never forget to tell the people we love how much we care about them.

Soldiers respect each other. They typically are just cogs in the machine, chewed up and spit out.

Nice story.

I do have an understanding of close loss.. My grandfather died when I was 16 he was like my father and I still look to him as the type of person I want to be. The hardest loss I think I have had to endure was the loss of my wife three years ago. Then last year another very close friend died suddenly of a brain anerism. Journaling did help for the first year after I lost my wife. I go back and read what I have written many times.

I think that's why I write... I have several friends that lost their spouse. I'm 63 and single, I always tell them, you had something I'll probably never have. Finding real love is rare

I gained peace about death through my near death experiences. I've been surrounded by death all my life so it's I've become a bit numb to it but losing my parents would be extremely difficult for me.

I'm so sorry...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:196798
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.