Agnostic.com

3 0

I am a widow. I live in a very small, christian community. Whenever someone says that my husband “is in a better place” or “god moves in mysterious ways” I want to strangle them. How would you respond to them?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been widowed for 11 years. Such platitudes make ME want to strangle them! I think the kindest that I could manage, even now, might be "mmm -ok."

Those are rude, even unkind things to say to a widow, religious or not.

Zster Level 8 Jan 31, 2018

That is what I usually settle with. I am seriously considering a warning label or sign saying don’t tell me about god’s Plan. It causes violence

Was your husband christian or...?

He followed the Norse Gods.

@Kenderdragon Perhaps a response reflecting your husband's beliefs? I'm not familiar enough with it, but maybe something about Odin?

@bingst The people that said these things didn’t know his lack of faith for organization religions. Most did not know him at all.

I am very vocal about my lack of belief in the supernatural. They really don’t come at me like that. I live north of Houston in a relatively small town, lots of xtians in these parts. Sorry, I lost my son recently, didn’t mentioned that. I’m sorry for your loss.

I am sorry for your loss

Thank you @Kenderdragon

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.