Agnostic.com

5 0

Is anyone else grateful that the fashion for the word 'Bright' seems to be fading. I always thought it patronizing to fellow sceptics and insulting to the many blameless victims of religion.

Fernapple 9 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Aside from the Will Smith movie, never heard of Brights. After looking into them a lil, I like their ideals revolving around laws being based on science.. but the name is lame.

Yes, I’m glad its fading. I would never use the term, which I see as a rather weak attempt at public relations in the name of the a community that really needs to speak clearly about who we are, what we believe - and don’t - in the face of continued marginalization and purposeful misinterpretation.

I first ran across the term Brights in Daniel Dennett's book Breaking the Spell. I've never really used it and I'm not set on using it, but it makes sense in context of Enlightenment and science as a 'candle in the dark.'

The Dawk & Pinker will always be the Brights as far as I am concerned.

cava Level 7 Oct 11, 2018

What does it mean? (Sorry English person here..bright means an especially clever child usually)

[en.wikipedia.org]
I've never heard about it before either.

@Dietl Thank you

Some people tried to promote it as an alternative to sceptic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:198657
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.