Agnostic.com

5 0

Near Death Experiences

Since I’ve had a near death experience as a child and was an atheist when I had it, I’ve debated on whether it’s evidence for a supernatural entity or not. It felt like it was. What are some of your opinions or experiences on NDEs? Possible evidence for something spiritual, or biological phenomena only or something else? ...and no I wasn’t psychotic.

Minuet 2 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think near death experiences are near death hallucinations. These can be caused by lack of oxygen.

Since you're here conversing about it, you clearly didn't die, you NEARLY died. That is why it's called a NEAR death experience.

NDEs are evidence of what the mind experiences when it's in an edge-case stressful scenario. It is not evidence of ANYTHING else.

It is SUGGESTIVE of some other things ... and like all scenarios where we are invited to engage in confirmation bias about things, we should not conclude more than is warranted by the actual facts in evidence.

The mind is a powerful thing. I have been 'visited' by my grandpa, great grandma and My Mum after they passed. After my beautiful friend, Linzi died, I felt her presence every day for ages. It was weird. Longing and grief can cause these feelings. There are some interesting scientific articles about near death experiences. I suspect its the way our brain protects us as we leave this life. If we are lucky to be revived we get to tell the story. For my colleague, Carl who was dead for 30 mins whilst we worked on him, he had nothing. No memory of anything until he came round in the ambulance.

The avatars people see during NDEs are different, depending on their backgrounds, beliefs, or even their past lives. Not everyone sees "Jesus" - others see ancient Egyptian goddesses, etc.

Besides, Einstein taught us that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form.

No reason to think energy souls or entities don't exist, and quantum physics already tells us different dimensions exist.

"For physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein

I've had an out of body experience, several, in fact. However, after a small amount of research, it turns out to be completely natural. I even learned how to induce them intentionally, though it's not easy, but using sensory deprivation.

I'm more interested in having near life experiences lately. They seem far rarer and more miraculous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:199958
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.