Agnostic.com

10 8

LINK The Most Important Scientist You’ve Never Heard Of | Mental Floss

Long read. Industry, politics and science, The lead industry's playbook is similar to the tobacco's. If you were born before the 80's, you were slightly poisoned by lead as a baby

For 60 years, American drivers unknowingly poisoned themselves by pumping leaded gasoline into their tanks. Here is the lifelong saga of Clair Patterson—a scientist who helped build the atomic bomb and discovered the true age of the Earth—and how he took on a billion-dollar industry to save humanity from itself.

(enjoy! I did)

Lukian 8 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By the way Mental Floss might kust be the very best magazine out there. I've been getting it since it started.

I enjoy their pieces regularly

What an amazing man.

Lead poisoning? Why you don't ask the Native Americans? I am sure their Lead Poisoning History predates gasoline moving cars. Go Ahead... Ask them.

Ask us what?

@Umbral How do you feel about the arrival and expansion of the european in the land you used to shared with others of your "own" kind? How you were driven by the gun into reservations... Do I have to continue or now you just do not care? There are different levels of lead poison brought up by the "white man"... in every land they coveted somewhere, somehow, anyhow.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I don't disagree with you at all.

I do have a twinge of an issue with appearing to make light of the genocide that the United States committed against indigenous peoples by calling it lead poisoning. I may be being over sensitive though. Not quite sure ...

@Umbral Your People... Your Thoughts... They act as if they belong... as if they are from here. Lead Poisoning is a term created by the Mafia in the East Coast... Italian Mafia to be exact.

@GipsyOfNewSpain How do you expect one-several people on here to explain his/her "people". Native Americans have diverse backgrounds and are individuals too. Some are acculturated. Some live on reservations that have the trauma of generations before them. If this sounds like a nasty mean reply, it is. You tried to sound smart and educated and it is evident that you have not picked up a serious book about the trauma and hurt that went on/is going on.

@alanalorie Okay... "oxygenated bleached blond"... lead poisoning is the effect in the body of a bullet penetrating it. From the expansion of "whitey" moving westward and carving a country on stolen land and then living off the lie that white man cares for natives as seems you do. Get you ass back to europe where you belong because You are Not from Here.

@GipsyOfNewSpain, By the way, I do love Mental floss, the topic that was the original topic. I love picking a good logical fight with a rude person. Calling another people by a disparaging name because of their race is racist too. By the way, have you talked to any Native American people that know me? I have apologized to them for what happened to them, (not my relatives). I owe you no apology. I would gladly go back to Europe and undo the pain.IAs you may know, it is tough to immigrate to my native countries and I do not speak the language of one of the countries, which my great-grandparents fled from. Would you slice me up and put the proportion of my ethnicity to each country. Me going back in time would not fix much. Men before my extended families came over and did the killing and stealing. In this case, they were not my forefathers that did the genocide, but they did not stop it or learn about it. It still saddens me. If I went back in time and was still born a woman, an inferior person, with no voice. I still could do nothing about it back then. Ad hominem attacks do not work on me. I am greatly saddened and do apologize for what happened to all of the people that were on tribal land and the people affected that live in what is now called Canada and the U.S.A., and the native Hawaiians. The hate you are preaching does not help with the healing. You may be interested to know that one of the kindest things that happened to me was a Native American family that took me in when I was unwanted by my parents. The mother and family and the bothers and grandson hardly knew me, but helped their daughter's best friend anyway by taking her in. I am very grateful to them. I had to go elsewhere when an abusive Native-American man hurt their daughter and they no longer had room for me. What is the father of my mixed race daughter and former partner need to do? Does he tell my daughter to go back to the countries I came from? Does she slice the "slice" the white out of her? Things are more complex than you know.

@alanalorie I have to give it to you... I salute you. I can't heal... I am not trying to heal. I don't hate either. I remember on my Navy days from my first port visit to Spain... how the attitude changed from spaniards once learning I was from the Caribbean, I received plenty of apologies from them... I lived in Andalucia for 3 years... great time for our "family". Same for the British and other Europeans once they learned I was from the "West Indies". Accept my Apology... I don't do it often as I should... I mainly Vent on my fights. But I don't see "hate in you" so... I just remind the world here and there... there was already many Civilizations in the Americas and they did not Survived the Arrival of Europeans. I am Sorry for what I said to you. I have an incredible peculiar education and upbringing and raised by a grandmother that was not really my true grandmother but became my family. A very peculiar upbringing in Catholic School... maybe one day I will tell you. Wish you a Good Day.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Thank you. It is kind and noble of you. I am sorry to know about the plight of your family. Good day to you. Thanks for not attacking my grammar too.

@alanalorie I take it all back.

Wow! This is a really interesting article that raises a lot of interesting questions. Multiple generations of humanity were attempting to function with varying levels oflead poisoning? Hrmmm

Great read!!.. Took me for ever, I am a slow reader. So sad greed blinds so many.

My favourite scientist. Dude should be legendary.

The great American hero Thomas Edison the trump of American industry in 19th century celebrated as a hero. He was a very public figure. He fought and patented shit left and right, sued people to bankruptcy, and bullied everyone in his way to monopolize stuff. How much damage has he done we may never know. But as a known example, Edison was a proponent of the direct current method to deliver electricity. You can read how bad that is to transmit current over large distances and why and how large and many wires it requires thus making him rich. He broke off with Nikola Tesla the real hero who died in relative obscurity and depression. Tesla had worked with Edison for some time before parting ways after discovering the asshole Edison really was. Edison attempted to fight everything Tesla to bankrupt him and saddle him with legal shit (trump again). One of the few things he failed at was our current delivery method the AC (alternating current). That was more effective and cheaper. Edison tried to claim patent infringement and monopolize electricity production but ultimately failed. Tesla method was much more practical and convenient.
Edison continued to be the asshole he is for the rest of his life and became an icon. Tesla died neglected and in obscurity with 100s of inventions lost to us

kng01 Level 5 Oct 13, 2018

Norman Borlaug

Although I would argue the most important scientists we never hear of are the very, very tiny group of scientists who are working on discovering new antibiotics from the global microbiome. We are one foot into the post antibiotic era and will begin seeing millions of people dying from common infections that have been entirely treatable for much of the last 75 years. Within the next generation, the majority of our current antibiotics will be completely ineffective. Get ready to see much, much higher mortality rates, and much, much lower average life expediencies. Unless we can start finding the next generation of antibiotics, we're heading back to the medical dark ages.

I gather you have not read the article. What a way to turn a post to your point of view.

You know the main reason for that is that it's simply not as lucrative as making chronic medications whether for chronic disease... No one is developing new antibiotics. Drug behemoths are simply spending very much single digit percent on development and double digits on marketing and advertising. That's why postantibiotic bullshit

@kng01

I am well aware of the profit motive involved in pharmaceuticals. Which is why the government heavily subsidized the development of many of the original antibiotics, and why they should maybe divert some of the billions they are shoveling into corporate welfare and subsidies, and in special interests and the military industrial complex to fund the next generation of research. Otherwise, people will begin dying in droves again from illnesses that used to be treated quite easily and effectively with antibiotics. And investors, executives, and government officials and their families and loved ones will be included in the death toll.

We'll see how much you think the loss of antibiotics is "bullshit" when people you know die from an illness that was curable just a few years ago. Super bugs are here, and getting more and more common. It is only a matter of time before it effects every one of us, including you. Bullshit indeed.

@kng01, @Lukian

I read the article. And it does absolutely nothing to detract from the validity of my assertion.

@Piratefish I meant if drug companies weren't "lawfully" fucking us over, we wudnt have any postantibiotic bullshit, surely we'll develop antibiotics faster than evolution. The problem is that there's no one developing them. The government is getting weaker as it is deprived from revenue with all rich rax cuts since raegen, the new aristocracy /oligarchy is hording wealth away from reinvestment, in the most useless way possible. Middle class is shriveling and poor uneducated classes are expanding. Where are we gonna get the money for drugs/space/arts/all the unpopular sciences that are so beneficial but free market alone has 0 interest in them.

Unfortunately u can't have as many unlimited heroes as villains in the world. We still have no one to fight the plastic industry lead by dowdupont. They are responsible for the campaign that illegalized hemp aka marijuana and classifies it as schedule 1? Drug. Nothing to do with smoking it. But hemp is an excellent material for 100s of applications from paper to disposable cups and plates.... They lead a campaign first focusing on its Mexican name Marijuana, vilifying it leading to banning and then farmers found out their hemp crops have become illegal overnight. It was too late. Everyone knew hemp aka Marijuana wasn't dangerous. They knew medicinal, and many other uses but didn't know it is the same species as Marijuana. The scientific name was the same.

kng01 Level 5 Oct 13, 2018

I gather you have not read the article. What a way to turn a post to your point of view.

@Lukian how so? Isn't it a typical story of whistle-blower facing an industry from the well known tobacco and smoking deception for decades to this guy's back story to the examples I gave. Just profit driven assholes and the people who fought them

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:200167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.