Agnostic.com

7 2

Isnt it sad that it only takes one unfair person to wreck a relationship? Wasnt it better when we valued our elders advice when it came to staying together or breaking apart?

AnTwanSr 5 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NO.

It takes two to wreck a relationship, even if the reason is that someone should have noticed the red flags and left before it started.

As for advice of "elders," since people are not alike, there are many reasons why some people keep choosing unstable partners, and an older relative's advice to "stay together, love and forgive," is likely useless, and could get someone killed.

@xamountofstars Maybe you liked him too much. It's weird but true; most cis hetero men flee women who show too much interest in them. It's an evolutionary red flag for their subconscious urge to reproduce themselves..an aggressive woman who pursues men will likely be chasing a career, and less interested in reproducing him.

That sounds one way. Some elders urge you to wait and not get too serious relations sometimes, and some will tell you to pack up and go fast.

I believe that by and large, monogamous relationships are created by two people and two people have a hand in the end of the relationship. Not that one person doesn’t sometimes have more responsibility, but I think it is rarely one person’s fault. Obviously this is not taking things into consideration like sudden violent or criminal behavior or something.

And I really do not believe that it is healthy to stay in a relationship that is no longer working for both people. Regardless of what humans before me thought or believed.

I partially agree, until we get technical. We have relationships with everyone but there not intimate and some can not be classified as healthy. We tolerate them due to the give and get(take). Which is beneficial in some manor or just the better deal at the time.
All in all, I get it, but I think we do not put enough into being in deeper relationships and committing to them due to the over hyped illusion of convenience.

@AnTwanSr Some people, true. But, there are still plenty who take commitment seriously. I take it seriously. I've thought and believed and wanted my last three relationships to be forever. But, life happens despite people's beliefs and intentions, right?

@BlueWave Interesting. For the most part we choose to live life and whom we live it with. If you honestly wanted your last three relationships to work, I would like to know, at least, the skinny to why they did not.

@AnTwanSr How nice that you’re so interested in my past relationships.

@BlueWave What can I say. I'm a Sherlock for the mysterious😉 Seriously, they do not really matter to me, as long as you learned what the w's, in order to keep moving forward in the best way.

All the elders I was close to were divorced. The stories they told about putting up with so much shit until the kids grow up and they could leave, just made me realize no one is perfect. Now days people look at relationships like buying a pair of jeans. If they don't fit you can return them. I knew a dude that married a chick with lots of money. The wedding cost $600,000 and she divorced him 6 months later. Ridiculousness for sure.

You should seek other elders and stay away from that woman😉

My elders????? You mean my grandfather that had 9 wives before 52 or grandma that had 5 husbands and 2 boyfriends?? Just because someone is older than I am doesn't mean they know a damn thing about what's good for me.

This is true but only a young foolish one would believe they cannot learn from wisdom that has seen twice or more lifetime of suns, moons and everything in-between. i'm not implying we have to go along with whatever they say but I am saying that it would be better if it was held in high tradition and respect to hear what they have to say about what they think of our situation. Plus, they don't have to be the elders you choose to listen too. If you prefer some proven examples, which is logical, all the more better, yes?

@AnTwanSr no. I've learned things from all ages it has nothing to do with age or tradition. If you feel that way.... fantastic!

@Pooska Glad to read! I partially agree. I also have learned things from the many ages.
However, the wisdom adds a unique perspective on what was actually done, and what is in effect. There was a happy elder couple that said the secret to their relationship was simply'never to go to bed mad at each other'. This struck me as hard to do but not impossible. Do you agree?

@AnTwanSr no....nothing worse than to piss me off then not let me sleep. I've had that used as a tactic to get me to agree to things I didn't want out of exhaustion instead of having an adult conversation

@Pooska I get your perspective but this formula works both ways, so one would have to bury the hatchet just as you. In other words before you get sleepy, don't get pissed or let it go, even if you have to be cool with getN even the next day😉

@AnTwanSr this is true only if you want to stay in the situation... I've been in more situations were I've had to hold on to my hatchet and get the fuck out. Lol

@Pooska LoL, (In the voice of jim Carey) well allllrighty then.

I wish. I'm not the one who wanted the divorce. Especially after 33 years. But it does take both people wanting to be in the relationship, and sometimes the other person doesn't want to. That has been one of my toughest life situations. Took a while for me to be ok with it, but now I am.

What I have found is that we all go through our things. Sometimes we mess up, and just need time to figure things out. Sometimes we clean up the mess and other times its just best to move on and pay more attention to the present and future.

Ya I think you are on to something. Relationships are hard and with out some grace we all would be doomed for a failed relationship.

Thank you. That had a bit of poetic elegance to it.

@AnTwanSr -- I'm not sure I know what you're getting at here. Care to flesh it out a little more?

Basically, if we take time to indulge in the wisdom we want to share and pass along one day, they would be the ones that will help us make it that far.
Think of it like this, when people want to make money they go to the rich and will do anything they say. The same should go for most happy/elder couples.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20026
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.