Agnostic.com

19 3

What do you think about long-distance relationships? I've met a lot of nice guys that I would totally go out with had they lived closer but, unfortunately they live too far from me. I want someone I can go out with, Touch, look in their eyes. Does long distance relationships ever really work out?

SonderOpia 8 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The human animal has too many physical needs for most LDR to work unless they agree to have an open relationship so that sexual needs can be taken care of locally.

Distance can be a problem. The heart knows what it wants. Yield to your heart.

Gee Sonder, I think we are in a long distance relationship and it is going great. But a romantic one? Depends on the long term. You have to see someone some time, right?

I must touch you. LOL. I figure if I can't touch it it's not mine.

@SonderOpia Mmmmm.

I agree completely. Having a long-distance relationship seems to me to be setting one's self up for failure. With over 7 million people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area it seems crazy to have to go somewhere else. Then again I consider the far sides of Dallas and beyond ( Plano, McKinney Etc.) to be long distance.

Well good thing I live down the street from you huh? LOL

@SonderOpia I'd go to the moon and back for you! Who am I kidding. I'd go to the moon and back anyway. LoL. All joking aside, I do think you're an awesome person. Getting to know you and having you close are two of the biggest and best surprises I've had in a long time.

@Markss76118 that's very sweet of you. I've enjoyed you as well.

In my opinion they suck, plain and simple.

I like your opinion. I also agree with your opinion.

I believe it is worth exploring. I will give it a go first hand and report back with my findings. hee hee

Sadoi Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

Yes, please do. I'd like to know how it works out for you. And I wish you the best.

@Sadoi as usual... The risk taker...will be waiting patiently to hear that story.

I guess it could but by nature, it can't stay that way.

While they can work out, they generally don't. It also depends on what kind of relationship you want. If you want an intimate physical relationship, proximity is a requirement. So look local or be willing to move or support someone else moving. Moving has its own dangers on both sides.

Hi there, big fan of your posts. I wish it could be said that LDR,s were possible. Unless one party moves to be with the other it becomes an emotional mine field, trust, monogamy, become cornerstones that eventually crush the relationship. that feelin* that “ if only I’d been there “ such an incident hypothetical wouldn’t of happened. . Kind of thoughts eat at you. So no not a good idea.

I don't think they work unless there is a plan in place to live closer.

gater Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

The do work out. But they are a lot of work.
(Granted, every relationship is)
But if both people want it to work and work towards it. It can work out. Providing the endgame in the LDR is that one person moves closer to the other.

Back in 2002, I met a girl in an online community and we hit it off well. We were always talking about various topics. Work, the differences between her city and mine, etc.
Eventually we crossed the bridge of going from friends to BF/GF, and she came down to visit me in Memphis from NYC. The time she was there was amazing and it was in that time frame that I knew that I needed her in my life full time. So eventually I moved to NYC.
We were together from late 2002 to mid 2013.
Our divorce was a peaceful one. Didn't need lawyers or anything. We're still friends to this day and I became friends with her boyfriend who she's been with for... I believe it's been 3 1/2 years.
Funny shit is... They started out as a LDR.

My point is, that it is very much possible if both parties want it to work.

It failed. So in truth you tried it and stayed with it 11 yrs but in the end it failed.

@SonderOpia it didn't fail because it started as a LDR. It had the same potential of failing just like any other relationship. There's no such thing as a guarantee in a relationship. There's always the prospect of things changing between the two parties. And that's exactly what happened with us. We were no longer seeing eye to eye on everything. We would argue frequently. I was in a fucked up place psychologically and shut her out instead of being open like we use to be.
It was me that changed.
I was going through a really dark phase in my life and I pushed her away.

@NeoXerops I like that you could admit that it was you. You do have a point however, you did however have to uproot yourself and moved to a whole new place where you didn't know anybody but her find a job and etc etc. I really don't think all that is worth it especially when your chances are still too low to stay together.

@SonderOpia Yeah. Well, like I said: moving has to be an end game for an LDR. Otherwise it's just a penpal. (penpal with benefits if phone/cybersex is involved)

Been in two long distance relationships recently; both failed miserably. The first was the last 2 years of my 13 year long marriage (if that makes sense). We lived together for the first 11 years, then were separated (by 350 miles) for the last 2 years; which is one of the factors that lead to our divorce. The second was purely a physical relationship were we met halfway between where we lived, and only on weekends.

That being said, since I live in The-Middle-of-Nowhere-Oklahoma, I still have hopes that future long distance relationships might work out better.

Three years ago I got back into a relationship with my High School sweetheart who lived about 4 1/2 hours away. I used to drive down and see her on the night before my off day, stay 2 nights and drive back in the mornimg. Eventually we got engaged and got a house tother near her. In hindsight it was a mistake. By up rooting myself and cutting my self off from my community I had put too much pressure on the relationship to work. After a couple years things didn't work out and I just moved back a couple weeks ago, older but no wiser.

sorry that didnt work out

I'm not even sure what that means. How long is long distance? What is the initial nature of the relationship? What is the intent? What is each party looking for? How can you be sure you're not being catfished? Maybe, if you're looking for something serious and long-term, it may be an option; but in that case, I would want to meet up ASAP.

WTF does your comment even mean? Why do you not get this?

@SonderOpia I apologize if you are offended by my response. If you prefer, I'll remove it.NFAguy kind of got my drift. I just don't know precisely what either "long distance" or "relationship" mean in this context. 35 miles, 100 miles, 1,000 miles? And by relationship, do you mean with an intent toward romance, long-term commitment, "hooking up"? If none of that is relevant to what you were looking for in an answer, then again, I apologize.

@Condor5 what I'm saying is you're overthinking it. And you don't ever have to delete what you say to me because I'm not taking it personally believe me. If you and I live in separate states I think that's a little too far. No I don't think that's a little too far I think that's way too far away. I don't like to drive more than 40 minutes to see someone and to me that's pushing the boundaries. As far as relationships go I'm talking any of those you mentioned. I believe that any relationship is strained if you can't be with that person physically. We need human touch and if you can't even touch the person you love then how is that even going to work out for you? And when you answer this please don't overthink it. This isn't for Points.

@NFAguy53 where do you live? Sounds like you live close to me. Because I'm like an hour and a few minutes from Denton.

@SonderOpia sorry, I do have that tendency to overthink things, and it has gotten me in relationship trouble before, so I need to work on that. As for the rest of your statement, I quite agree with you, I think without close contact and physical familiarity, it just can't work. At least not for me.

@NFAguy53 I used to live over close to that. I know where you live and now I'm coming to get you LOL. I'm just joking don't flip out.

They do work out. As long as both people want it to.

So far it's not worked out for the people posting on this.

I don't entertain them normally, I was in a 2 year relationship with a lady who lived 2 hours away, I had previously known her for 16 years and we were neighbors for 7. I dated a lady 5 hours away for a month or so, she has stayed with me a few times since, she normally visits me for the Australia Day long weekend every year, but I have asked her not to the past 2 years and I have not visited her the last twice I was in her area. Given the distance, I never entertained the idea of a relationship, that and the fact she is a bit young and lacks a decent understanding of commitment.

With professional travelers love can work when home.....but only rich people can afford frequently dating long distances. ....military families are often separated weeks if not many months at a time. ....11 days a month was not enough for my ex and she hated riding in my truck when our baby was small

I don't see how.

not if you want to touch and look into their eyes

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.