Agnostic.com

3 3

One of Australia's favourite 19th Century poets was Banjo Patterson best known for writing the world famous suicide's poem "Waltzing Matilda". I'm not giving you that tonight. Instead a poem of an Australian cowboy turned into a song by the Australian group Wallis and Matilda about 40 years ago . Enjoy or chew your own ears off!

FrayedBear 9 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my comments below, about " waltzing matilda" I made a mistake. Our band of over time has played both "The band played waltzing matilda", and "Waltzing Matilda". And "The band played waltzing matilda" is the really sad one. When you get older, the mind misses pieces.

The "band played" is Eric Bogle's hit written over 40 years ago. It is still regularly played on radio on remembrance days, we have 2. It established Eric as a songwriter and after June Tabor popularised it in the U.K. it started to spread. Eric himself considers one of his later WWI songs far superior but it is never played. ... he wrote about five on WWI.
The original Waltzing Matilda written by Banjo Paterson is even sadder in that it is rare in that it sings of a suicide and the reason for it. Many wanted it to become the national song but a racist song Advance Australia Fair was chosen instead through referendum.

The photos are at least as worth it as the music! Cool!

I was hoping people would enjoy hence why I chose that video. Thanks for the feedback.

Our band plays "Waltzing Matilda", but it is pretty sad. And thanks for sharing the song. We do play folk music.

Sad that a starving homeless dude has the law set on him by a wealthy farmer, yes. I think Australians have extreme pride in the fact that they would rather die than kowtow to such property worship. First Nation Peoples here tend not to personal ownership, everything is belonging to the tribe - it's ok to steal from other tribes and no one owns the land - she 'owns' the people.
Thanks for the feed back @Or-Humanist. Please have a listen to more of Wallis and Matilda's great musical renditions. I last heard them about 15 years ago and they were performing very witty songs they had written satirising Australian politics.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20172
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.