Agnostic.com

5 2

What can be done about religious hospital?

My local hospital was established by the Order of St. Francis in 1915. To this day, they refuse to perform or accommodate abortions or birth control matters. Since they serve the south-central portion of the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan, patients who desire or require these services must travel 52-65 miles to the next facility.

Women are being victimized here at the hands of the religious in the name of community caring. According to the IRS tax-exemption law, "Reg. l. 501☕(3)-1🍸(2) provide that the term 'charitable' is used in IRS 5Ol☕(3) in its generally-accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor and distressed or of the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erection or maintenance of public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening of the burdens of government; and/or promotion of social welfare. (1) (Emphasis mine) While this religious facility provides one type of charity, it ignores four others. Short of opening a non-religious hospital, what can be done?

(1) [charitynetusa.com]

EllenDale 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not defending their lack of services, but it's like a store - if they don't have what you want, go somewhere else. Do they provide women's services outside of abortion and birth control? If not, go to a clinic or health department for birth control. I don't see 50 or 60 miles as a major impediment for an abortion. They constructed the hospital from their religion's funds and it's theirs. They can do what they want.

Sorry for erroneously posting, @Richard6876. But you're so right; I guess they can do whatever they want. It is their regional hospital. It's silly to worry so much about it when such larger things are looming on the horizon.

well you could send a message to people in the past:

"Hey people of the past Woodrow Wilson is a bigoted pile of crap and because of him Jews/blacks/women/catholics will have to form their own hospitals and schools just to be doctors. Also, the Lustinana is carrying arms in violation of a treaty we signed"

Thanks for writing. You're funny. Lol.

Actually, the golden rule applies here. I dislike when someone forces their religious belief on me, and I think it would be equally offensive if I were to force my beliefs on others. What women need are three (3) things: equal access to current legally recognized medical treatment as needed, required, or necessary; that the available service not create a greater economical burden on our society; and that it protects the very segment of society that the IRS Tax Exempt rule was actually written to protect--the poor, distressed, and underpriveleged.

Other than that, St. Francis is a great provider on services they do provide

Sadly, meeting one of the 5 is sufficient for 501☕3 status.
But I'm not sure the UP is part of the US 😉

No, eh? Usually Wisconsin asnd Michigan fight over us. With this It's the opposite--you're right, it's yours. No, no, It's yours!

@BurtsTime -- Note about single items in parentheses: emoji symbols frequently appear because that's how they are coded here. To avoid that, I have taken to using, for example: 505[c] 3 status as opposed to 501☕ 3....

@BurtsTime -- Note about single items in parentheses: emoji symbols frequently appear because that's how they are coded here. To avoid that, I have taken to using, for example: 505[c] 3 status as opposed to 501☕ 3....

@evidentialist Off topic, but where can I see what emojis are coded for this site? Apparently <3 doesn't give a red heart, and what are those above anyway? Gray lips? LOL - watch <3 give me a red heart this time when I press reply...

@ElizabethI -- Red heart is left parenthesis l right parenthesis = ❤

Go to you FAQ page and there is a whole mountain of goodies there. The emojis are the last on the list.

@evidentialist Thank you!

That's going to be difficult

Fuckin' eh! @LeighShelton. A serious and seriously humorous answer. And it comes from a Brit, no less! 🍺 🍕 for you!

thank you, ellen

Live as healthy a lifestyle as possible, take care of yourself, stay safe. Do everything you can to avoid getting involved with the healthcare system in the USA.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20196
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.