Agnostic.com

51 5

Female body hair. Have you examined your prejudices? I'm struggling to stop shaving, even though I accept that it's yet another inequality we should question. I'm slightly relieved by the history - when Gillette introduced the first "ladies'" razor in the 1930s only 20% of females shaved their armpits, legs, etc. Their magnificent advertising campaign (focussing on making women feel bad about themselves & their "embarrassing" body hair) increased this to 80% in just a few years. Do we really need to remove ALL our body hair so that when we're naked we look like pre-pubescent kids? And what does this say about men who like hairless pubes?

GoldenDoll 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (51 - 51)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A majority of my friends shave, male or female, and it has little to do with 'prepubescent' but hair just get's in the way. In fact, when I was training ju jitsu, shaving was almost required to a point. There are definitely gender biases...things we associate with masculinity and femininity, but it I think this one goes both ways in the following examples: a guy shaving his legs or armpits is considered less than masculine culturally (western). Now, I want to do big history with a focus on hair...haha. Life is too short, damnit.

Many cultures require hair removal. I'm just trying to examine why.

@GoldenDoll Yeah, as I was typing, I began wondering what other cultures/meanings to hair growth removal there are (what a horrible sentence I just wrote...hehe). It was a really good question.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20267
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.