Agnostic.com

10 2

Spiritual

Are there individuals on this site who consider themselves to be spiritual? As a former christian I have a fairly good notion of what Christians mean when they use the term but not sure what is meant when the word is used by non-believers. Thanks for your input.

SchuylaRDiamond 6 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Spiritual means that someone might not believe in god or religion but they do believe in Einstein..that matter is energy in another form, that energy can't be destroyed or created, so we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form.

They can believe in many things without being religious..past lives (I remember many of them, as does my sister), that our minds are the ones creating reality, etc.

"For us believing physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein

“I regard consciousness as fundamental, and matter as derivative from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

Excellent

It's like being in the middle of the fence I think. a cop out.

More the way I live than spiritual, my perspective is that the earth is sacred and the universe is divine. I love life, living things, this is the only planet I am able to visit that has life, and the universe is pretty awe inspiring.

My take on the word is based on nature. If I have killed an animal, I consider that spiritual because I have taken that animals life and use it for food. I will thank the animal. If the beauty of nature lifts my demeanor and makes happy to be alive I consider that spiritual. When I appreciate the garden's bounty and enjoy the produce that I got from the ground, then I consider that spiritual.

good question

No sir, not me. When someone says spiritual I just picture a stupid hippy wannabe twirling in circles mumbling something about a goddess, or proclaiming they they are a goddess.

Spiritual is a wild card word much like god. It means something different to everyone. I simply avoid it as if I use it, it will be certainly understood to mean something else to the person I am speaking with. I do believe in relaxation and inner peace in an emotional since without and metaphysical influence. This can be accomplished by many means of silent reflection or by means such as yoga. These things can be very good.

I am an Ignostic, so not only do I not consider myself Spiritual, I very much doubt anyone is. They label themselves as such, but what they MEAN by that is something else entirely. They mean Empathic, or emotional, or considerate, or compassionate, or similar things depending on context of the conversation.
Spiritual is a catch all term in that way.

Ignosticism is an Epistomologic position; it is a set of ideas refuting the importance of determining the existence of God. It claims that knowledge regarding the reality of God is altogether unprofitable.

It is the idea that every theological position assumes too much about the concept of God and other theological concepts; including (but not limited to) concepts of faith, spirituality, heaven, hell, afterlife, damnation, salvation, sin and the soul.

IF you cannot even define what you are talking about, or consider it beyond human understanding, how is it you can claim to know anything about it and keep your intellectual integrity intact?

There's a book out by Andre Compte-Sponville called "The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality". It's actually not about spirituality ... it's about "the great virtues" and the pursuit thereof. If you are an introspective sort of person, and want to be your best self, this fairly concise / short book provides some secular food for thought on the topic.

That said ... I've identified as atheist for about 20 years now (former evangelical) and I don't feel any particular need to affect "spirituality". It's important to me to be moral (societal morality, the only kind there actually is -- grounded in actual harms and benefits to a sustainable civil society), to have integrity, to be honest and to keep my promises, to have empathy and compassion for others. These are all doable without some sort of externally defined and bestowed mojo from on high.

In fact, the only thing about my morality and values that changed when I left theism, were for the better. Because any vestige of being motivated by fear of consequences, went away, leaving only a desire to to good for its own sake, of my own free will, because I choose it.

Theists don't have the monopoly they claim to on morality. In fact my former tribe has deep-sixed whatever actual moral authority / credibility it once had, long ago. I have nothing but contempt for them in the morality department anymore.

Don't consider myself as spiritual. I do get a sense of awe when looking up at the night sky and seeing all the stars, or maybe the mystery of the universe. Live close to a big town, and the light pollution and clouds keeps us from seeing much at night. Go over to central Oregon, by a lake on the sandy strip without trees, and the night sky is incredible.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.