Agnostic.com

8 0

I just started a new job, I am almost 2 weeks in. I love the job, pay, and the location. But I am quickly realizing there is a heavy religious presence in most of my coworkers. I am generally an observe before I speak type person so nobody knows of my nonbelief, yet. It will happen as it always does I will tire of the conversations and say something before I even realize I am talking. My question is how long have you made it at a new company before you divulged to the openly religious that you were not?

Rckmom 4 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't encounter such problems because I work as a welder. For most novice welders, it is vital to have a good supply of welding wire on hand so that you can practice, and it is essential to familiarize yourself with [ratemywelder.com]. For best results, use a thin welding wire on a thin sheet of metal, and then increase the diameter of the welding wire as the thickness of the metal increases. You should have at least two different wire diameters. If you don't know what welding wire diameter you need, your welder will tell you what you need. By the way, if you do purchase a gas cylinder for welding over the Internet, you will still need to find a local supplier who can fill and then refill the cylinder.

Most places I have worked people didn't talk about religion. If they asked, I said that I believe in re-incarnation, and that is the reason I take my own sweet time to complete tasks. What I can't do this life, I promise I will do it in next. They have never raised the topic again.

I would probably not get involved with them socially.. just pretend that you are really shy and quiet.. !

I've been in my current position for almost 2 1/2 years. I've made it a point to not bring up either my non-beliefs or my political beliefs. Fortunately my staff, co-workers, and boss don't bring up these topics much at all so it's been pretty easy.

I make it a point to keep religion and politics out of the workplace. I don't know if you can avoid conversation about it, but perhaps if asked I'd say something like "I prefer not to mix work and religion", kind of like if you were declining a date with a coworker because you don't mix work and personal life, or something along those lines. My point is, you don't HAVE to discuss it.

I avoid discussing religion or politics, except in certain forums.
Even if someone were to bring it up at work, I'd just act vague, and change the subject.

People are entitled to their own beliefs, so I wouldn't care even if they worshiped blue rabbits and thought birds were angels.

The bank I worked for was where the Catholic Churches and schools banked, so most staff had a Catholic School background, though many Anglican as well. Banks do anything for the wealth of the churches. This was over 40 years ago but in some branches I would be the only Non catholic. I just never made any comments one way or the other.

I'm pretty sure it was just assumed that I'm an atheist. I never got into discussions of religion at work because I'm a firm believer that religion is one of those topics that should not be discussed in the workplace.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20307
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.