Agnostic.com

50 10

Ground Hog Day - Why is this still a thing?

Time to drag that rodent from its burrow and ask it what it thinks of winter. Can this be any stupider? Hasn't its novelty worn off yet?

LucifersPen 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If the groundhog sees his shadow, there'll be 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't, then it'll be...about a month and a half... 😉

You got that right. 😉

I always thought it was a dumb day, but it led to a good movie. So it's got that going for it, which is nice.

People like traditions. I think it gives us some consistency and familiarity in this wild roller coaster called life

^ Best explanation possible

It's my annual excuse to watch one of my favorite Bill Murray movies.

Serious question -- do you watch Groundhog Day every year?

@BlueWave No. Serious answer. But not for being a bad movie. I still watch every year "what about bob?"

By the time February arrives people are sick of winter. This tradition gives them a reason to go out, celebrate, and have a little fun. It breaks up the monotony and they are happy that there are just six more weeks of winter to endure.

I pretty much think that everyone knows it is silly but it can also be fun for the ones who need a little break. No harm is done. I don't pay attention to it.

Betty Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

I lived in PA and went to the celebration, granted this was many years ago and idk how much it's changed since but it was a blast. I'm not big on polka but people were happy dancing eating amazi thing food just oit having a good time, it was great.

@Reaver85

It is a nice distraction from the winter blues. 🙂

Some people take every excuse to party. Some are even going to church on Sunday.

Bill Murray

I like to think of work as Ground Hog Day.

Dude...
I work overnights and every single night feels exactly the same.
I've told coworkers that it feels like being stuck in the movie... They never seen it... These damn kids these days...

I've always loved Grounghog Day. It's my favorite holiday.

You take off that day?

@Gert
Yes, it's my birthday 🙂

The science of... Groundhog Day

[sciencebuzz.org]

skado Level 9 Feb 2, 2018

Why is April Fools Day still or thing? Tradition!

godef Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Prank Day. 😉

I have never seen the fun of it. I'm just boring. Playing pranks on somebody is making fun at the cost of somebody else. It's not my cup of tea. At the First of April I stay home enjoying myself, waiting for the next day. But I know and accept that Americans seem to love pranks. Even the Dutch do that on that day, although they start forgetting it a little (thank whoever). In my eyes people should think of something really funny or pleasant to do that day.

I think any excuse to have a good time 🙂. I don't know if you have ever been to a groundhog festival, but they are fun. Around here we also have Mike The Headlesa Chicken Days, Mike was a chicken that got his neck wrung but lived for a long time (a year or more) as his owner fed and watered him with a little dropper in his neck. Seriously lol. You can look him up, Mike is pretty famous. Even if it is stupid, its a lot of fun 🙂.

I've heard if that little shit. If I remember right, a part of his brain was still attached to the brainstem, which was why it was able to stay alive. That little piece was able to keep enough electrical impulses going to keep the little shit alive.

Interesting stuff.

I think it is great. It is just a tradition for fun that no one puts any stock into. This is my hope for all religious traditions at some point. Nothing wrong with having a little fun.

Ground Hog day a cross quarter day halfway between winter and spring, Halloween is another between Fall, and winter both are old pagan tradition if Christians only knew. lol The movie is one of my favs.

Party day in Punxsutawney Pa.. lol

Tradition....rather silly but tradition... Does not bother me one way or another.

Why is Christmas still a thing or Easter,Halloween or Valentine day(which isn't even actually a thing)

Commercial boom.

It’s for shits and giggles. Everyone knows it’s make believe.

Depends on what you tell the children. In the right way they believe anything.

I ask myself that question...21st century!!! Damn!!!

You mean to say it is a real thing? We just gamble on cockroach and cane toad races.

LOL. The visual is awesome. 🙂

Probably no stupider than many traditions and celebrations ... it's clearly rubbish but I am sure most people know that and just go along with it for fun.

It's a thing as long as there is profit and a reason to celebrate. Some people still like it -- obviously. I prefer the movie.

Goat Level 5 Feb 7, 2018

For me, Groundhog Day is is burned into my memory as one of Bill Murray's best roles. Well, except for Stripes.

I'm still trying to figure out July 4 and fireworks.

I don't even know how ground hogs can climb trees, but they do. Both my dog and I have seen it. They are magical and my dog says the slow ones taste good.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

I think Bill Murray will be the reason this practice is continued into the distant future. Damn I love me some Bill Murray.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20372
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.