Agnostic.com

50 10

Ground Hog Day - Why is this still a thing?

Time to drag that rodent from its burrow and ask it what it thinks of winter. Can this be any stupider? Hasn't its novelty worn off yet?

LucifersPen 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, because "tradition". Unfortunately, if you look at the stage, there are diversity issues, including women weren't there.... (OK - so maybe they're too smart to want to be seen on stage, but that's not my point.) And I have a friend born on this day, so it's always fun. 🙂 PS: Winter here in Orlando Florida today is about 75F and sunny....

I was born and raised in Miami, so yes, what people do up north to cope in winter seems a bit strange at times to me.

6 weeks of spring! YAY~~~ nothing like a furry rodent to predict our weather. Kinda like the orange baboon #45 saying there is no such thing as global warming. just sayin...

The rodent is better at understanding climate than the President. It's not really a fair comparison

The novelty has worn off, but the hats will never get old.

I think of it as my Grandmother’s Birthday 🙂

Varn Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

Growing up in northeast Ohio, we had a very long time (over 50 years) weatherman who predicted the severity of winter by observing the wooly-bear caterpillar; apparently something about the stripes predicted how cold it would be. Groundhogs are much cuter.

Growing up in northeast Ohio, we had a very long time (over 50 years) weatherman who predicted the severity of winter by observing the wooly-bear caterpillar; apparently something about the stripes predicted how cold it would be. Groundhogs are much cuter.

It's definitely dumb. I'm guessing they still do it for whatever publicity the towns get from it. There might be some sales they get from people buying tshirts etc. I can't imagine it would be significant though.

It gives people another chance to dress like pompous ass for a day.

Don't they already predict when Winter is over? It's on the new calendar every year.

I guess fun is fun... kind of like Mardi Graw over here... it's just another reason to drink and get wild.

It is a folk festival...just like Easter, Halloween, Valintine's Day, Sweetest Day, Christmas etc. Society looks for things to celebrate to alter and aluminate what otherwise would be monotonous days.

Because it's fun. The world needs some whimsy from time to time and Groundhogs day fills that niche. Have you ever gone to Gobblers Knob? It's fun! There is music and fireworks and huge crowds of people dancing and singing in the freezing ass predawn hours while people in period costumes are lip sinking to party songs. Dragging the terrified marmot out of its warm home to pretend like it can predict the weather is just some added hilarity to top off the party.

Hell no it's not stupid🙂 It's tradition, and a bit of fun. Beats most of the other news on that day! People need distraction from the every day BULL s**t. I like Ground Hog Day better than Easter.
Why do you hate the Ground Hog? What he isn't as cute as the Bunny? I guess you have probably had enough by now. Thanks for being a good sport🙂

Why else does anyone do most of the ridiculous stuff they do? They perpetuate this farce for the money it brings in.

No idea why, but I love the film. =]

Just an excuse to be silly, and break the monotony of winter a bit.

Besides, like the others, I LOVE the movie!

Is not the worst tradition so... I don't mind tradition.

Media

Religion hasn't and that's more stupid

No one actually believes the part about seeing the shadow and going back into hibernation as an accurate prediction of winter. And the Groundhog Day festival is all just an excuse for another celebration. (How we love to drink in this country.)

But, hibernating mammals have been used for centuries to monitor winter. Their hibernation cycles tend to follow the cycle of winter. In the old German tradition, it was a hedgehog that they watched to determine the winter cycle. When they moved to the US, they found the groundhog was very similar in it's cycle (and they were everywhere in Pennsylvania.) So, armed with the knowledge that these critters would come out of hibernation in early February to find a mate and then return to the ground for approximately another 6 weeks, actually did give farmers fairly reliable information they needed about when to plant by watching them.

Duke Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

"It's always February 2nd and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it"

cava Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

It is fun, but makes no sense, if he sees his shadow it means it is sunny, why would as sunny day make you predict 6 more weeks of winter? Bunch of pessimists!

Americans need holidays and a reason to drink.

I think it's fun. this ridiculous but that doesn't make it special these days.

A lot of new questions but no answer, unless "Tradition" covers it all and indeed that is. But if I think it through it is a rest of old weather traditions to determine when it is time to seed. In the Netherlands you sometimes hear not to plant sensitive plants before the Ice Saints (May 22-25), actually before those dates a serious cold period could emerge but hardly ever after, destroying those plants. All based on passed down experience, becoming a tradition.
[en.wikipedia.org]
Groundhog day has more or less a comparable weather related origin. It has gone a more complicated way though.
[en.wikipedia.org]
The value of these traditions is valid for those ancient times, but nowadays I tend to follow the weather forecast. But ……… it never hurts to keep the Ice Saints in the back of your head when you live in the northern hemisphere.

Gert Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Perhaps the Groundhog is similar to the Phoenix, both arise from 'death' and blaze forth in a burst of life. This sense of rebirth pervades the narratives man tells. Of course the exoteric is always easier to understand than the esoteric. hence the tradition.

@cava The comparison is not very tempting though. The groundhog is still a real life animal.

Is it? or is it a social construction based on a "real life animal", otherwise why would the tradition have lasted as long as it has...I mean the real life animal dies, but the tradition carries on because it relates to an archetype and not the real animal involved.

@cava In real life the groundhog reproduces too. It is "The groundhog", not "That particular immortal groundhog". Also it did not start recently, so it's not a CGI construction that is working on the data that meteorologists provide.

@Gert Cheers!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20372
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.