Agnostic.com

8 0

What do other nonbelievers think of a freethinking Buddhist ?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

a Buddahist is one who buds flowers.

EMC2 Level 8 Oct 19, 2018

The original Buddhist concerned NO deity. Then the Chinese , wanting badly to control this segment of their society, made it into a deity type religion. I do read and follow somewhat the original one, It is science of the mind. Love it. Life should not involve anything that is worshiped . Nothing asks that price of a human solul

EMC2 Level 8 Oct 19, 2018

I consider myself a Buddhist Atheist.
I even attend Buddhist meetings once a week.
No deity required.
Chanting, meditation, and yoga can be useful tools in maintaining wellness.

I think it is a religion, regardless of the philosophy aspect.....I have travelled extensively in Asia and it’s adherents are as fervent in their beliefs as any other believers. They have priests, nuns and temples and believe in reincarnation.....no freethinking there then!

i can't say, as i don't know what buddhist philosophy entails (i am not entirely unfamiliar with it; some of it, if i recall, made sense, and other bits didn't really, and i am not talking about the mystical aspects either). but i don't demand that everyone believe as i do. i demand that people respect each other, even if they don't respect their beliefs!

g

I think Buddhism can be p0laced into two distinct categories. There is the philosophy of Buddhism, and then there is all the supernatural stories they added on after the death of the original Beeha.

I think the philosophy is a mostly rational approach to livign a happy life.

I did once dated guy who was raised Buddhist. He described hsi parents as "born again Buddhi9sts". Meanign they were pretty fanatical bout their beliefs. The whole thing conjured up a vision in my head of parents yelling at their kids "You're going to reach enlightenment if I have to bet it into you." I hold tht picture in mymind to remind myself that anything tht is seemingly good can be perverted to do harm.

As long as he/she doesn't make a claim concerning the supernatural I see no necessary conflict with Buddhism. Nowadays it can mean a lot of things to be a buddhist.

Dietl Level 7 Oct 19, 2018

I don't judge people, particularly based on such a minimal amount of information, however, I don't believe that there is anything scientific about mysticism in any guise.

JimG Level 8 Oct 19, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:204302
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.