Agnostic.com

9 2

What unusual sports do you follow/participate in?
Here in Thailand, there are a plethora of cool, weird sports:

Cow fights,

(Red-whiskered Bulbul) bird singing contests,

elephant races,

takor (like volley ball, but with a small, rattan ball, using the back of the heel and to control and kick the ball

yang.. kids jump and cartwheel over a rope made of rubber bands at increasing heights.

Petang..like marbles, but with silver-colored balls almost the size of bowling balls

soccer (football)

birdingnut 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Huge fan of bodybuilding and strength related sports. Mr. Olympia, World's Strongest Man Contest etc. Am helping a few folks at my gym with bodybuilding.

Isn't takor same as sepak takraw?

There are many versions of the game, and I was just using the phonetic spelling of the most local version here in southern Thailand.

We are non violent, but I have always taught my kids to be able to defend themselves, they are both highly qualified in various martial arts. We have a house full of blades and often my back yard becomes a training ground, if not the park across the road, which fascinates the neighbours. Most of my crew are in this club. About 1/3 are female.

Not weird, but I love watching the X-Games. Seeing people do tricks that I will never do is fascinating.

I don't follow sports. About the most exciting thing I do is go mushroom picking, and sometimes I go fishing🙂

Most of it is cruel it sounds like

I used to longboard. Not unusual at all, but people looked at me like I was riding a unicycle naked while juggling flaming clubs. Because, you know, sexism.

Ha ha 🙂 I have ridden a unicycle juggling flaming clubs -definately wasn't naked at the time though 🙂

I have ridden a long board naked, never a unicycle, naked or otherwise. I love it that women surf, my daughter does and 2 of my friends are female world long board champions, have known many over the years.

@Rugglesby long skateboard 😉

No waves here in Montana.

Not sure it is classed as a sport but I run around on an army live-firing range amongst unexploded ordnance, trying to find interesting insects without getting blown up 😀

Whoa! You definitely sound like a kindred spirit to ME..I put myself into constant peril for wildlife and bird photos, oblivious to weather, snakes, cliffs, dangerous animals, etc, obsessively following my passion. Besides birds and wildlife, I also photograph scenery, flowers, and insects, so I get that part, for sure.

@birdingnut thanks 😀 Well, I'm a scientist and I also try to rationalise risk and, although it is obviously a heightened risk to walk on a life-firing range (when the army aren't using it!), I also remind myself that many other people (including the army) use this terrain and I have never heard of anyone being injured there. I know of one case where criminal idiots broke in and drove about until they blew their car up on a live unexploded bomb (they survived) but we walk very carefully and work as a group to spot & avoid dangerous objects.

Also, the area is a beautiful region of open grassland and hedges, unspoiled by the modern world and agricultural "improvements". It is home to many veyr rare species that have just been marginalised as agricultural practices changed huge swathes of our countryside from small flower-rich meadows to huge arable monocultures. I've attached a photo to show the kind of place we walk - no paths, no signs, just grass and flowers as far as the eye can see.

(edit: didn't load - I'll try that again... aha, finally uploaded)

@birdingnut

@ChrisR Looks like a heavenly birding place as well. I actually did routinely go birding on the Thai military practice grounds near Saraburi, Thailand, because it was in a beautiful desert area with many species of rare Thai birds. I often thought about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I never was.

@birdingnut We get permission from the army - we actually go in with a few "red card" holders who have the permission and they can take 5 guests. We still have to phone the army range control though as we go in and when we have come out - otherwise they send in the helicopters to find us! 😉 The Plain doesn't have many trees but it is very good for birds that like wide open areas like Stone Curlew (Burhinus oedicnemus) and some of the Harrier species (Circus sp.). It is also the site where they have reintroduced Great Bustard (Otis tarda).

@ChrisR The Thai aren't that organized. The soldiers even let me cut through their restricted military bases on my motorbike, but wouldn't let me take photos if I tried it within sight of anyone. They use such vast areas of land, though, that I could ride almost all the way home from work using the military base back roads. Because there was no hunting allowed, birds were less wary.

@ChrisR Whoa! mentioning those birds is like throwing a bucket of chum into the sea behind a boat, and ringing a bell to summon sharks. I've never even seen a Great Bustard! I'm just greedy, though, since I see new, previously unseen species almost every week here in Thailand. Sometimes, several a day.

@birdingnut I've actually never seen the Great Bustards either - they are huge birds but very elusive and I think they were let go on a different part of the Plain. It's a huge area too - the biggest military practice range in the UK (150 square miles). Never seen a Stone Curlew too but they are incredibly hard to see and they have special observation areas where you can go and stand and you have the best chance of seeing them - but it's still hard. Harriers are rare and I think I saw one once but very far off. Anyway, I usually have a net ion my hand and my eyes on the ground or on flower heads, looking for nectaring flies 😉

I don't know if I can name any sports that are as unusual as cow fights or bird singing contests. ????

I think in the US Curling is kind of an odd sport

@btroje I think Curling is Canadian

@BitFlipper don't tell people in North Dakota that

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20431
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.