Agnostic.com

7 4

As a photographer I get asked many times what photos I'd never take, my answer is very few, the odd thing is for years I have wanted to set fire to a bible and photograph it, but for some reason I can't, is it wrong of me despite my views of there is no God etc to want to do that? Also, I've been asked to photograph a nude shoot in a church, so again would that be wrong or just immoral?

Johnjo 4 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A nude shoot would only be immoral if you tried to do so during their so-called services. I've always considered any bible to have only one practical purpose, kindling, so I can't see how it would be wrong.

Both shoots would comprise great symbolism and allow artistic expression in uncommon ways. If you consider yourself an artist you should have no compunctions about either shoot. Hopefully, your artistic expression outweighs any regard for convention. Listen to your heart and be true to yourself and your hesitation will melt away. Suggestion: Light fire to a church and take pictures. That will make these other shoots seem mild in comparison!

Deliberately offending others, even if their beliefs are not correct, is hurtful, therefore immoral.

I think the decision is yours to make. I am also an artist (paint, pens, pencil, etc.) and there are certain subject matters I won't touch. For me it's about respecting others beliefs even if I don't agree with them. Although I did do a sort of torture series based on the Spanish Inquisition. But my reasons were that my family is from Spain and the fact that the church justified their actions through religious beliefs has caused a small amount of shame for me, I am an atheist, and a fan of Monty Python. But as I started this comment stating it is up to you but be sure you understand why you are doing it. If it is for sensationalism I wouldn't do it but that's just me.

I think as long as you own the Bible, you can set fire to it and photograph it or video tape it. I think that you would need more than just the burning book to make the photo or video interesting though.

There are actually churches that pefrorm nude services in Florida. Their congregations are small, but there are nudist churches. However, if you are looking for the dramatic, with all the religious icons, and so on, I doubt you'd get permission for a church for suchy a shoot. You could build a set, but that wold get expensive pretty fast. Even when they film movies and TV shows they usually use actual churches to save on costs. Oh, and no, I don't see anyting wrogn with doign nude shots in a church,

As a nudist, I think peoel shoudl be allowed to be nude virtually anywhere, as long as they are not doign anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else. After all, as one of my favorite T-shits says, "If we were meant to be naked, we'd be born that way."

Don't you know Bibles are sacred and holy? God won't let them burn. 😉

As far as nudity in a church being immoral, I think the real immoral act would be what priests were doing to children in churches.

You have raised 2 very good points there, I thank you.

True Paul, god won't let buybulls burn, he just allows people to starve. Praise the fraud!

Of course, it is individual choice as what you photograph because it is your camera and your art. I think the burning buybull would be a great picture. Items such as flags, religious books, or crosses are inanimate objects and as long as they belong to you, it is your right to photograph whatever you choose. I see the destruction of items and photographing them as a legitimate protest, art that represents the oppression as represented by those items, and sometimes just fun. Nudes anywhere are great and to have them in a church is a great way to show disrespect for Nazis and their agenda. The only thing that is immoral if you destroy property that belongs to someone else. Otherwise, have fun.

In the UK if I posted the photo for all to see I wonder if I could be charged with religious hatred? I always have fun Daddy don't you worry 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.