Agnostic.com

5 2

Is there any way to return the strong union movement to this economy?

Marine 8 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is one area where you and I would agree on. I do strongly believe if someone/group of people wish to organize into a union, they should have every right to do so. There are pros and cons when it comes to unions, both being rather equal in number. It should also always be a choice whether one wants to belong to a union or not, no one should ever be forced to join. Personally, I have no need to belong to a union. Lastly, while I agree with the idea of privatized unions, I am firmly against taxpayer funded ones though.

Unions helped build our middle class, gave voice to the worker...and got corrupted by bad leadership allowed by the worker. Since then the big companies have utilized the government to bust unions and give power back to the big companies. Good companies don't need unions. And good unions should not be restricted.

I think unions are good. However, they need to be supportive of the work ethic to survive. I was in a union for several years. First time I received fair pay for the work I did.

Unions are good and bad .I was a union supervisor in a civil service position for 28 years.Unions prevent utilization of employees ,remove incentive ,make it almost impossible to discipline anyone .Protect workers with high absence history.The high cost of Union contracts in the private sector cause companies to leave the country .Government unions are bankrupting cities and states.I never observed good workers need the use of union representation.It was always the worst workers .

Detroit being a good example of that.

All your statements are true and should be addressed but unions also provided for vacations,sick leave,job protection, health ins, 8 hour work day, overtime, and protected workers from dangerous work. The unions were also mob controled in some situatuions and this is not acceptable but now many workers have no one protecting their backs.

As a once civil service worker myself, I have to agree, in part, too many promotions for incompetant workers, just to get them out of jobs they couldn't do to begin with.....and too many corrupt, greedy unions in the private sector that the workers let represent them instead of maintaining control themselves, and doing what was best to keep the company profitable. Workers need to always be able to work for themselves, with the ability to negotiate

@HankShermanyou are correct. I have seen incompetent state employees receive excellent ratings from supervisors just to get rid of them when they apply for a transfer to another area.This is the only way you can get rid of these people

@richiegtt not sure if that came about because of union, or just screwed up state regulations. But for sure it was an ordeal to dismiss a civil service worker.

I see the union movement as the only way the workers have of obtaining fair wages and benefits however I do not see any way to reinstate this movement at this time as the corporations with their ability to move overseas has total control of the situation. I would be interested in hearing any other way to insure the workers got a fair share.

Looks to me like trump and the republicans just gave away all incenitives for big business's to consider the worker at all..I know thats not looking toward a solution...but really, as long as republicans have the power to give all the cards to the companies, I just don't see the worker having a winning hand.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:205239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.