Agnostic.com

11 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Avid reader right out of the crib. Collected a ridiculous amount of books. Discovered the Kindle and gave away 95% of my books and am rebuilding my hoard of books on my eReader. Easier to move without all the heavy books.

I still prefer books myself.

@tnorman1236 it was actually a very hard transition for me.

I don't know about his study. Correlation does not equal causation. A more likely possibility would be that people with a lot of books in the home are genetically more prone to the factors considered. That's why they would have the books to begin with.

I think that was addressed briefly in the article.

I am an avid reader and a book lover. I own approx. 400 books and they are mostly fiction. "We lose ourselves in books, we find ourselves there too."

I don't remember having lots of books in the house. I was brought to the library at a you ng age and bought comic books (prince valiant) at a very young age. I read Dickens. "Tale of Two Cities" in the 5th grade.

My point, I always had access to books, just not found in my house. Today I have 5 post-secondary degrees (including a PhD) and attribute that to books.

I started buying my own books in grade school. Remember weekly reader? Once every month or so I’d go home with a box full and read every one. I don’t buy too many now. Thank goodness for libraries. I do go to used bookstore and divest myself of books I’ve read and books a million has started buying books back. I do love my nook It’s great for not taking up room in my purse, it’s light and it’s great for holding free books especially from authors I’ve never read before. I also listen to books on Readercoin. Have listened to many classics I’ve never been interested in reading.

Until i was around 40 i used to pride myself on reading little fiction. preferred biographies & history. then i began to realize that, as henry ford said, 'history is bunk'. it really is mostly BS. especially wars in which the history is always written by the victors.
i now read mostly fiction. i enjoy writers who have interesting insights into the human condition.
i usually read for 20 minutes or so when i go to bed & often if i'm awake at 3 or 4 a.m i'll read until sleepy again.

I have always loved books. Growing up there were many hundreds of books in the house. My collections just kept growing. I kept almost all of my college texts for decades and only got rid of some of my graduate school texts when I retired. Now, as I consider downsizing, I realize that I have multiple book cases in just about every room -- even the dining room. And yet I can't help getting more. Each time I discover a new author I like, I acquire most of their works. It's an addiction!!

Money is the only reason I don't have more books than I do.

I had more books when I was younger and I read more as a younger man. Today I gleen what I can from the Net and have lots of sources, but the books were really my thing as a teen. Most of my books were paperback because we were poor. I had many paperbacks for over 10 years and they looked new because I respect books. Our small communities also had book stores that dealt with many used books. I still have a couple of rare ones but I wrote my name in them so maybe they are not valuable.

Today I hardly ever read a book coz I'm lazy, but I like e-pubs and my computer does read me a few of these.

I had at least a few hundred books in my bedroom at 16. There were thousands in the house. I gave away 15+ boxes of books when I moved from my last house and still have a lot, I'd guess over a thousand - real books. While I have a Kindle, I like the real thing.

Of the 3 kids growing up, 2 of us have post graduate degrees and the other dropped out. So you never can tell.

& I want the real ones I can feel! Kindle is just not the same thing!

Agreed.

E-readers are handy for adjusting print size for eyesight, as well as arthritic hands.

@Lilac-Jade The keyboard & books are the only excercise my hands get any more...well, almost.

@phxbillcee Me too, until I get my new hip anyway......

Gotta have my books!

That's right! My father had tons of books, and so do I. (Some of which were his.)

@tnorman1236 My favourite book store was the library. Then after I got married, I purchased many along with my library visits. Then the internet came along......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206493
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.