Agnostic.com

5 1

QUESTION Does Your Ego Serve You, Or Do You Serve Your Ego?

I think my ego gets in my way a lot. I think there's some good advice here.

Funnygir175 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try not to serve it but it has a way of getting in there before I know it. Reading Hardwire for Happiness right now. Books like this remind me to not serve my ego.

Yes. I think that's what it's there for.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

Sometimes I feel like I am a slave to my ego. Other times I wonder if I have one.

“If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.” ? Douglas Adams,
Crazy as it is, the words of this song do investigate "ego" a bit. We all have one, even the most insecure, yet those who are "out there" I can think of some politicians, it seems to be their ego that drives them, that, greed, control. Personally I don't think that ego is a great thing.

I've had some success with a mindfulness and meditation practice. One of my favorite authors on the subject, Jon Kabat-Zinn, has a book entitled "Wherever You Go, There You Are". Early on in the book he says something like "If you are moving along with your practice and having some success, you might feel the urge to talk about it and share it with others. Well don't, just meditate on the idea that you want to." This cracked me up because the first thing I thought of was Fight Club. Which I suppose could be construed as an anarchist guide to Zen. Dan Harris' book" "10% Happier" got me started and then Sam Harris' (no relation to Dan) book "Waking Up" is a trip. I hope I don't get kicked out of Fight Club.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20712
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.