Agnostic.com

16 0

Considering that religion has gone to war with us should we go to war against religion?

Religion has been at war with non-believers and apostates since its inception. In the last 200 years alone it has done great harm by rationalizing slavery, relegating women to secondary status, using their tax-free status to influence secular society and fomenting homophobia to name a few of their transgressions. They send missionaries around the world to practice a form of cultural imperialism. At what point should action be taken to rein in their evil influence on Mankind? When should we begin demanding that all references to religion be removed from our public buildings, currency and inaugural oaths of office as well as from mottos, pledges and invocations? Would it ever be justified to burn down the church of a particularly egregious congregation?

GareBear517 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anyone care to discuss encouraging/ helping others to believe what You believe vs. MAKING them?

Because to my horror, I see a lot of fascist comments on this thread!
One of the reasons I embrace atheism is what i thought was its "Live & let live" outlook..........freedom to believe, or not.

To address your opening point: my cable also includes about 30 "sell me something" channels, about 10 kiddy channels, 8 or more sports channels, about 15 Chinese and Spanish language stations. So what? "Live and let live", anyone?

Just as I am free to Not enter a place of worship, I am free to change the channel. I hear fully selective packages will be available soon, so just hang in there!p

The Assumption that we are at war (war?!?!) with another group over private beliefs is IMO both divisive and dangerous, not to mention pretty silly. Sorry, but I have better things to worry about.

Like how to subscribe to cable without having 10 religious channels included without your consent? Or maybe you are worried about every politician on both sides of the aisle pandering to evangelicals with every speech, oath and legislative vote. No? Maybe it is the religious graffiti sprawled on every public building that has you upset. Or the fact that to be a witness or juror in a court of law you have to swear on a bible to fulfill your responsibilities faithfully. How about religious Federal holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas instead of secular ones like Winter solstice or Summerfest? Don't like public meetings opening with prayers? Well, by no means say anything. Someone might mistake your outrage for waging war on religion. Have a nice complacent life with no point of view about anything!

We must eradicate the idea that we can "Go To War" with a concept. It lends credence to the belief that we can win a War on Terror, or a War on Drugs or a War on Poverty. It's a dangerous perversion of language that has gone far beyond rhetoric and manipulates people into supporting violence, oppression, imposition of force and the relinquishing of cherished freedoms to accomplish the impossible.

A war on concept need not be violent but it does need to be aggressive, outspoken and even strident. I feel religion is creeping into places where it does not belong especially in establishing influence over our secular government. I know no better word than war to describe the effort it will take to cast religion to the fringes of society where it belongs.

Damn straight & well said!

We have folks like David Silverman at American Atheists, the Freedom from Religion Foundation, the ACLU, the Richard Dawkins Foundation, Ex-Muslims of NA and the Origins Project. A lot of people on YouTube are pretty much at war with religion. These folks are speaking out about as loud as anybody can, which is pretty much equivalent to being a missionary. They do demand that illegal references to religion be removed from public buildings and the other things you mention. No, the absolute worst thing we could ever do would be to use violence.

gearl Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

I'm a pacifist by nature and against all wars between nations because there is always a way to adjudicate actual conflicts. But war is seldom about anything but looting other nations of their resources cloaked in some bullshit about freedom or liberty or something. But self-defense is something else. It is necessary to make as impenetrable a barrier as possible against attack. Religious organizations that try to impose their form of sharia law on the rest of us are committing violence of the worst sort. We should aggressively strengthen the laws that protect us, reason with the enemy and, finally, warn them. After that, I have no problem with relieving them of their assets including their (tax free) real estate holdings. And if that takes a midnight raid and arson, so be it!

I look at religion in a very simplistic way - Religion is simply a control mechanism, a tool, like money, politics, etc. . Attacking religion, is like attacking a sword as opposed to the sword-wielder, you are just wasting your energy, it's a distraction that takes the fight away from the real target. BTW I am a pacifist, but, I support fighting the enemy in a non-physical way.

I see it the same way - religion is a system used to control people - other control systems are politics, money and business .... I too have pacifist leanings and much prefer to use non-physical means to change bad social conditions - boycotts, voting, letter writing, donating money to human rights groups, etc.

We should begin YESTERDAY. I think that most non-believers are so logical and generally peaceful, that we dare not think about waging war, but as you said, they have been subjugating and killing us for centuries,so eventually we'll have to fight back. I just want religion to be put in its place, out of politics and public education. If we don't force our schools to teach evolution from the early grades on, there will be no hope of abolishing these foolish ideas.

Yesterday is right! Yesterday should have been 3000 years ago so that we would not be dealing with this now. Certainly by the turn of the 18th century Reason should have put its foot down to superstition. But, instead, we actually encourage the practice of religion with tax benefits no other entity enjoys and polite smiles at the end of some religious diatribe. We even protect its practice in our Constitution! Those of us who know better should be more vocal in our condemnation.

I think in time this may be viable but for now the atheist population needs to be much higher to make a significant enough impact to cause change. Atheism is more common among educated peoples so the more educated people become the likelihood of change.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

Atheists: "Come out! Come out! Wherever you are!"

I genuinely believe that education to a high enough level as well as more socio-economic prosperity would do the trick. Also, things like rationalising slavery wasn't only done through religion, nor was relegating women to secondary status. Science had a part in rationalising slavery and while religion did play a part in relegating women, you can't just pin the whole thing on religion. I think from the point that they actually start harming people then it is justified to use force against them, but that isn't to say you use force against the whole religion, but the do-ers of harm.

It does not have to be violent. In Canada religion has been losing power over the last 50 years - We are becoming a secular nation.

Education is changing minds.

I think we should help it along by showing what we are, and standing up for our rights. We are successfully taking on every school one at a time to stop prayer, and its working. Atheists are stanidn up and it is changing . America.. not so much

The goal is to rid ourselves of harmful practices imposed on us, not to harm, humiliate, or dominate others. The goal should be to grease the skids as that religion will become obsolete and do itself in.

Nope.

Zorro Level 4 Oct 23, 2017

YES ABSOLUTELY!!!! I love talk like this. I am a militant atheist, not an apathetic atheist. What can we DO to create the secular society we all crave to live in?? I don't believe in violence but almost everything else is fair game. So I want to go into a constructive verbal war, a legal war, a war of economics, a cultural war, basically every type of war without bullets we can engage in to end the poison that is religion and those who perpetuate that evil.

I'm with you brother. I don't want to wait another 200 years for the ignorant to discover their ignorance and slink away. I believe we should be more militant in response to our Freedom From Religion being trampled on continuously. Drag them into court, repudiate and reject their narrative vociferously and, yes, even disrupt their "devotions." That'll keep them from falling asleep in the pews!

We shoudl defend ourselves, but not be aggressive like they are being.

Offense is the best defense!

Sometimes it is best to stand back and let others make fools of themselves... and maybe point out just how silly they are.

That shouldn't take any longer than 200 years. I don't want to wait that long!

I agree with silvereyes. I don't like the term "war," either.

Regarding your last question, you mustn't make martyrs of them, so no. If you burn a church, it inflames the martyrdom complex which only strengthens their hand. The only time I might envision something like that would be if the church was (say) violent white supremacist and the government had declared it the official religion or close to it. If it were to get to the point where the govt was endorsing racist religious institutions, then, yeah, a defiant act of arson might be called for, just like the Reichstag Fire in 1933. But, note, van der Lubbe's fire was a miserable failure. In fact, the Nazis exploited it to justify a slew of emergency measures.

Churches and christians are de facto racists. Virtually every congregation in the nation is almost all white or almost all black. Where did the slave owners go to hear their "business plan" upheld to the heavens? Churches. Who read from their holy scriptures that slavery was all part of god's plan? Christians. And if you think that is ancient history explain why it has only been in recent years that the Mormon church has allowed "brown" people to be congregants. The Reichstag fire was a complete propaganda failure because the cowards who pulled it off didn't own their act. Militant atheists would leave no doubt as to who they are and why they have taken action.

No. We aren't in a Nazi-level theocracy. Not even close.

And yet we allow our politicians to proclaim, "god bless America!" and "So help me god!" and pray before legislative meetings and use bible verses in public debate about secular law. Any politician running for public office must pander to religion to have a chance of being elected. Why are our public buildings defaced with religious graffiti and do our pledge, motto and oaths of office contain reference to deities? Do we have to wait for a Nazi-level theocracy to emerge before we nip it in the bud?

If atheists are people of reason, we don't need war of any kind. Remember in the 70's we said "war is like fnking for virginity"? I think we need to learn to better articulate our peaceful engagement with believers. Listen to them carefully, as they hang by such a thin thread that they need to recite their holy books because they fear that reality will leave them feeling abandoned by all hope. Articulate love, joy and beauty. Lead by example. Be a positive role model. Take on responsibilities to make ours a better planet. Small works become big works. If we earn the trust of wild animals, we can do this too. That is civilization. The first man to hurl an insult rather than a spear was the founder of civilization. ~ Sigmund Freud

We are way past hurling insults.

Well said. You know the old saying "When they take the low road, we take the high road." Being courteous, respectful and reasonable is taking the moral high ground. I don't like it when religious people treat me badly, so I try to be better. In fighting the abusive religious fundies - it helps to gain the trust and respect of the moderate religious people. Some people involved in human rights are religious - I don't share their belief in god(s) but I respect the work they do - like Joan Chittister, a Catholic nun, William Barber, a black Baptist pastor in North Carolina - they get my respect.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2073
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.