Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK The Humanist Dilemma: Can an Agnostic Teen Be Honest and Keep up the Good Work? - TheHumanist.com

FTA: Dear Good,

Congratulations on recognizing that you are a good person—and that your church does good things—regardless of whether or not you’re religious. That demonstrates that you are a mature and reasonable young person who can deal with the many colors of reality, not just black and white. Lots of people live their entire lives without understanding the nuances you are already perceptive enough to grasp.

zblaze 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, have some fun with it. I used to sit down with my drink at parties and open a conversation with " I believe all religions are lies. What do you think? " Sometimes there would be someone smart and articulate enough to take me on. I also liked to say " I think Judio Christianity combined with Western Civilization ( my second favorite oxymoron ) is the most toxic poison ever turned loose on the world." Making people think can be enlightening.

Like Mahatma Ghandi said: "Western ciivilization: it would be a good idea!

On a tangent....My favourite oxymoron is Military Intelligence ?

@Moobellob I've always been struck by the irony in 'Civil War'. But perhaps we need to devote an entire post to favourite oxymorons. I love them.

I am more like you . Especially the older I get, I tell the truth and when someone states a fake news fact, I am on it. I just cannot tolerate being stupid because you are too lazy to read.

Having been through a similar situation, the advise given to Good is exactly right. There will be consequences imposed by her Theist family.

You can be a voluntary in social programs, even church ones, and donate money directly to institutions without the church as intermediate (catholic church for example uses 90% of donations for itself).
You don't need to be member of the church. Actually the churches shouldn't even accept a non believer by their own laws.
A non believer commits heresy and becomes an apostate according to most religious law.
That's how I forced my local catholic church to sign my de-filiation. Saying that according to their own laws if they do not let me go out for apostasy they incur the risk of being expelled themselves (yes this is in the church laws).

Interesting.

@Paul_Clamberer what is interesting?

@Pedrohbds The last paragraph

@Paul_Clamberer Yep, in my point of view disaffiliation is important, thisway you can´t be counted as a member when they go for lobby. And most of churches try to tell you that you can´t do it after baptism, but you have to remember that you have the right of free assembly and you can´t be forced to stay part of a group.
Or just tell that you are confessing being an apostate, this (at least in roman Catholicism) punished with excommunication) =)

not all churches do good. some do dreadful things.

every good thing a church does can be done without a church, too.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:207391
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.