Agnostic.com

5 0

Going backwards

Please someone tell me how you can be a humanitarian and a free thinker follower of science then all the sudden switch teams and go back to church and Christianity out of the blue? Some one please enlighten me!

Wendiw 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion is like a drug. It disconnects people from. Reality. Religion relieves a person from responsibility by convincing them that God will handle it. That whatever happens, good or bad, is God's will and is best for them.

Not all people who simply do not believe in God and thus are atheist are actually Free Thinkers or rational. Yes they all claim to be. We all want to think we are smart and rational. When I see these testimonies "of atheist converted to religion" the story is always the same. It was an appeal to emotion, fallacy of incredulity, etc.

These are people that simply did not believe and never gave it any thought and/or are simply lying.

You didn’t say that the person was an atheist. There are a lot of Christian humanitarians, free thinkers, and followers of science. (Though their thinking might not be as free as some others.)

If they said that they were an atheist, and then recanted, I’d say that they were basically undecided at this point and they need more time. That shouldn’t be a problem to anyone.

Loneliness

not all atheists ever WERE christian, so not everyone has that to go back to. for those who used to be christian, i suppose anything is possible. it makes no sense to me. if one can withstand peer pressure to the extent of realizing and admitting there are no gods, it seems odd that they suddenly relapse. as for what "most people" can or cannot do, in terms of standing alone with their ideas, that's a good sound byte but it doesn't sound like a fact to me. most people haven't GOT fully baked ideas as far as i can tell, but those who do have them seem pretty well able to stand alone with them.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:207459
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.