Agnostic.com

3 5

QUESTION Americans/slavery Germans/holocaust

Makes some points that have particular relevance to those of us who are not religious.

Hellbent 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

they said it before, link is broken

@Hellbent Thanks.

This is very sad, and I understand it should be. Slavery, US Apartheid of the Indigenous peoples, and the Holocaust are horrible examples of man's cruelty to man. I have been to Dachau and to the US Holocaust museum. It was easy to distance it as happening over there. However slavery and the apartheid of the indigenous people of the US are largely swept under the rug. I think in the US as a nation we need to identify our responsibility to see that ends. To acknowledge it and put process in place to assist the descendants of those harmed, and to educate the future generations of how easy it was to look the other way. I personally did not participate, but I am a descendant of those that did, and I have benefited as my skin is white, and as long as I am breathing I will speak out against that inhumanity and demand justice.

how would you assist the descendants? That is a hard question. In addition to your comments I am always bothered to hear comments like Get over it or who do you know that owned a slave. Even after the most atrocious acts there is still the effects of putting Native American kids in boarding homes and the acts of racism after slavery ended, THe trauma of one generation reverberates onto the next

Was it just apartheid or did it almost equate to ethnic cleansing or genocide?

@Treasurehunter truly it was genocide.

@btroje I have no idea specifically how to help the descendants, though I am sure some wise people will have some great ideas. It is a hard question. And yes, it was/is a horrible trauma and the effects will be felt for generations to come.

@HippieChick58 funny I was just looking at some memories on FB and there is an article in the Atlantic several years ago about a man that bought a plantation and is seeking to address the issue of at least understanding what slavery was. I think it is too old for me to share the link

broken link

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20778
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.