Agnostic.com

26 10

What would the world be like with computers that could read minds?

So, I read this interesting article on Science Daily. "Computer reads brain activity to find out the music each person is listening to"

One step further, what would the world become if there were computers that could read our minds? Minority report? What do you think the implications could be?

[sciencedaily.com]

silvereyes 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Brutally transparent. The mind is capable of very strange thinking, normally such thoughts are filtered before we speak or act. That's the common sense part.

That is already happening with AI. Certain types of AI can be programmed to observe human behavior patterns and then use that information to know how we think and how the entity using AI should respond in any given situation. Also they are using AI with prosthetics so that the person who the prosthetic can control the prosthetic using electronic impulses from the brain in tandem with AI to help the person who has the prosthetic be able to use it much more effectively, creating a better quality of life. It is truly a brave new world.

Hahaha! If the day ever comes when computers can read human minds... We're all fucked.

@silvereyes I can see it now. Society has changed, humans no longer at the top. Robots working human jobs along side few humans... Waiting for a bus, we see 2 male robots as a human coworker is waiting to cross the street to catch the same bus.
One robot says to the other: "Unit DT4879, Joey is trying to catch the bus. Should we hold it to make sure he gets on?
DT4879:" Negative Unit WX 2532, avoid eye contact and act as if you do not see him. I really don't want to talk to Joey. He's a strange man and you should see his Internet search history. He's into some very odd fetishes."

@NeoXerops

LOL

@NeoXerops LMAO

It would depend on the programming of the computer. If for example, the programming were to identify potential career interests it may be helpful in guiding students to the courses that would benefit them.

If the computer was programmed to identify potential criminals there may be some problems. Humans have active imaginations are influenced by the entertainment industry and media so the possibilities of false positives could be a problem.

If the programming is used for security purposes then for the mainstream it may be functional but as with all codes, there will always be coders who will find ways to circumvent the main objective and defeat the effectiveness of the program.

It would be interesting to see how the technology would evolve and how it would be used. Not likely in my lifetime.

Betty Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

Not anyplace I'd want to be.

When you consider computers have only been around for last century(ish), just think how advanced it is now, and how much further advanced it might become in 100, 200 or 1000 years time. If we are still alive and still advancing technology as best we can, without looking at any evidence whatsoever (therefore my opinion is pretty much pointless) I don't see a situation where AI doesn't take over us

Creepy. Soon we'll have a USB port in our heads. Along with microchips in our wrists.

Awesome.

@astrochuck

You do think big. 😉

Marvin the robot everywhere!!!!

If i might suggest checking out ghost in the shell (cough) any of them but i came in at second gig the series on adult swim- wow and i love yoko kanos work

Yah check out inner universe by origa lyrics on youtube she sings in Japanese English and german and fuck me thats some talent

You can find beauty and inspiration in the most unlikely places sometimes

More importantly, whats the world going to be like with computers thinking for themselves?

As far as mental illness is concerned it may be a good thing.
As for crimes not commited, (as above) espionage, industrial and political, intellectual property is the scary part.
Monitoring online usage creates a more accurate profile it may not read minds but it can very accurately predict actions.

Emile Level 5 Feb 4, 2018

An then again you can collect all data and do nothing with it. Sitting in a server. Like on USA summer 2001. But that is another story for another time. It will always be needed an "Analyst". Those in the know and in the business will tell you.

The mental illness thing seems like a slippery slope. Someone will be determining what's mentally healthy.

There would be no more lying? If only the rich could afford them it would further the divide between the haves and have nots. Over all I do not think it would be good unless EVERYONE had one.

The implications would be disastrous..

nope

Its like you said... if they can know what music you like.t
Then they can already read minds...oh oh!

ultimately, if human society does not die, then yes I believe this will happen. I wait for the day when one can store what is on my brain, knowledge but emotions as well.

All I know is that a lot of us would end up not wanting to ever step outside.

I take your question is based on the assumption that most people have minds?

Leon Level 5 Feb 7, 2018

Their would be more people in prison.

What is the idea of the religious nutjobs - one is guilty even in thought (lusting after your neighbors wife - why do only men lust?). So following this our jails would be overflowing. In fact no one would be free.

There are already algorithms that can learn to predict human behavior. While I'm not sure computers will be able to read minds per se, I'm certain they'll be advanced enough to discern body language and facial expressions well enough to make damned accurate guesses.
I think that if computers ever did become capable of reading minds it would be a damned scary world for people who don't follow the herd.

JimG Level 8 Feb 4, 2018

Barbed Wire, reminds me of that movie

What about computer rights? Why would we want to inflict our thoughts on to a poor innocent machine?

jeffy Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I will be Happy to be considered the Last of the Fuckers on earth!!!!

Computers would be fine, but it depends on who programmed them. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 8, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.