Agnostic.com

14 1

Does it seem like getting a one night stand would be really easy? But a real relationship - seriously difficult?

UrsiMajor 8 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I must be a strange guy. I've never had a one night stand and I'm not likely to start, now.

Both are insanely difficult.

A one night stand is super easy to find for any female, if that's what she wants. Even for an old gal like me, there are lots of precautions I take to avoid the "wolves" out there waiting to pounce on any female they can at the local night spots. Glad to have several people I can count on to look after me when I'm in the bar alone.

A longer term relationship would be easy to find with an unsuitable person, but the near-impossible challenge is to find someone suitable. There lies the problem. The older I get the pickier I get. Would rather be alone than settle for a relationship that doesn't enhance my life, rather than take away. Always worth a try though and is worthy of hope!

I should add that a "one night stand" on a small island like where I live, would not be a private affair. The whole community would know about it, which is why seasoned residents know to avoid them, in order protect their reputation. Kauai is called "monk island" for a reason.

Back in the 70's and early 80's one night stands could have happened regularly I just chose not to go there. By the mid 80's things were getting scary bc of aids and many heteos thought they were 'safe'. Lack of education about STD's and sex has resulted in a lot of unnecessary heartache.

Not really in the market for one night stands as my standards (must not be a delusional theists and or Republican) applies to all as a base rubric for anyone potentially worthy of intimate contact. Because I live in the middle of a theistic/Republican wasteland, my (social life) is, with the light weight polite discussions of benign (not intimate) topics in these pages, highly encumbered. Do I think it would be easier to find a one-night stand then real relationship? If I lowered my standards to accept theists as a one-night stand, Yes. However, I have no intention to lower my standards.

It's not difficult to find a horny male.... I never had a one night stand... Don't really want to either...

Haven't tried either, but both seem difficult. In fact, one night stand seems harder.

You might be the smartest person I've ever met.

@UrsiMajor wait till you meet my friend, Patrick! He will blow your mind ?

@Spongebob Why, was he smart enough to never date, drink. or have a trail of speeding tickets? If he's just a standard Ph.D. or some sort of lawyer or other doctorates, I already have an extensive collection of those coming out of my ears on facebook.

@UrsiMajor [faisal-ardian.blogspot.com]
This is Patrick ?
It's a SpongeBob reference.

@Spongebob I guess that beats Star Trek references and anything to do with Organic Chemistry.

@UrsiMajor SpongeBob always wins ?

I married my last one night stand.. a least it was supposed to be.

Yep.

My first one night stand lasted 17 yrs.....the second one just hit 32. ???? I'm obviously doing something wrong?? hahahahaha 😉

Yeah.... Pretty much...🙂

If, after "one night stand" , you add the word "safely" , to me neither one is particularly easy.

I was going to say that, for women so inclined, it is easy, but then I remembered about 30 years ago, one middle-aged woman was going from table to table desperately trying to pick up a man. She hit on every accessible male, whether they were with a woman or not. It was both comic and tragic. She would even suck on guys fingers. Eventually, she picked up a younger guy who was drunk. And, off they went.

Good thing I quit drinking. Don't need to run off with some drunk Lost Boys-look alike sucking the blood out of my fingers.

A relationship is not only hard to start, but hard to maintain. By any standard, a one night stand is easier.

All I have to do is walk into a bar, and men are all over me. Since I don't drink alcohol, bars are not my milieu.

The last time I went to a bar was to watch my alma maters in the Rose Bowl (Univ. of Washington vs. Univ. of Michigan). Immediately, a man grabbed me despite my protests, took away my drink "to improve it" and wouldn't leave me alone.

While he was gone, a nice, older couple let me sit with them. During the fourth quarter, I Ieft, afraid he would follow me to my car.

I don't do casual sex. Like the majority of women, I want a committed, loving relationship.

Anyone, male or female, that wants to make your drink “better” is dangerous, as you obviously know. Good that a couple offered you cover. You might also let the bar manager know. They need to be aware of potential issues like that in order to protect their other customers.

Things don't usually get that bad in my yuppie area, I still go to bars even if I quit drinking. My rationale is I didn't quit live music or eating.

um, no. no, it doesn't seem that way at all. neither is easy.

g

@Yogisan i never wanted one-night stands. they didn't appeal to me. i didn't want to have sex with strangers. that would have been emotionally difficult for me. i have a fiance and we're in love. it has its difficulties but it's easier for me to have a relationship with someone you know and trust than to screw around for no reason. it wouldn't have been pleasurable for me. it would have been a waste of my time, my effort and my person. i wasn't "saving" myself; i wasn't a virgin. but one-night stands? they sound the OPPOSITE of appealing. as for whether or not it's hard to find a relationship, sure, it's hard to find the right one. it took me almost half a century. but i wasn't looking. it happened. then i had to MAKE it continue to happen.

g

@Yogisan l might add that we were young at approximately the same time. if you went where the women were, you didn't go where i was. i didn't go to places where men might pick me up because i didn't wish to be picked up. i was not then, nor am i now, concerned with the rules of the time. by the way, my approach to physical beauty was always handsome is as handsome does.

g

@Yogisan i got that. just because my experience was different from yours (thanks for stating the obvious) and i expressed it as so, that doesn't mean i didn't understand what you meant. i got it. why does everyone who either disagrees with something or has a different take on something think that because i am not in agreement or have a different take of my own, i didn't GET it, or missed a POINT. i wasn't expressing what was easier and harder for YOU. you already did that. oddly enough, i was expressing what was easier and harder for ME.

g

@Yogisan life sounds like a pretty good option, considering the alternative 🙂)

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:209171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.