Agnostic.com

5 2

It is said that 40 percent of Americans change their religion during the life time. Firstly, is it true? And secondly, if so, doesn't it mean that the next step is to get rid of religious beliefs at all. For example in Czech Republic 70 percent declare themselves as secular. Given that can we believe that in 100 years religions are domed to disappear? What do you think?

Lonely 6 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure about how such things are in Lithuania, but for all my life here in the US, commercial radio has featured popular music on many stations. Even as a young person the music of 'my era' was very repetitive but still, for a time, could be mildly resonant before eventually sounding tiresome and causing one to scan other channels in search of something different. Today, with music manufactured mostly by electronic machiines, it is even worse. Popular music last it's soul with surrender to mechanism.

In a similar manner, this is how I experienced religion. My extended family was doevoutly Catholic; parents not as much, though they held on to the identity. Early childhood encounters in cathloic schools with Sadistic nuns ( a fortunate misfortune ) caused deep feelings of repulsion that were kept inside. As a teen, I discovered a youth social club at a Protestant church furnishing a curious channel change to some newness.

Even th blush from that attraction shortly disappeared at a Billy Graham Crusade appearance we attended in a huge convention center. In church they passed handled plates to collect 'offerings'. Billy was way beyond that. Literally beer pale sized buckets were passed hand to hand across the seated rows of people. In the aisles, Ushers with cloth SHOPPING BAGS were dumping the buckets into them until full, at whih time they hauled the full bags to the back someplace.

Even to a fourteen year old, the scam became crystal clear. I avoided contact with religion for the most part because they all required intellectual compromise as the price of membership. The last religion (station) I found was Judaism. Attraction related to intellectual tolerance and I 'converted'. To it's credit, reform Judaism didn't distract from intellectual evaluations and eventualy became the last portal through which I passed to atheistic freedom.

Your question about 'next step' inspired this lengthly description because that is how it happened personally. If humanity is fortunate enough to emerge, even with a remnant, from the course of self destruction we're on due to ineological and theological fanaticism, there might be a chance long after we're gone for the scourge of religion to disappear. Unfortunately we con only hope and guess as faith, once again, would have to be based on woefully iinsufficient knowledge.

The religious nuts seem to be a quarrelsome bunch and will often get mad about something and quit their church and start going to another so in answer to your question yes I think that’s true but I also suspect that the percentage of people who change churches may be even higher. As far as changing from Christianity to another religion I think that would be extremely rare.

Never had to change my religion, ever, never had one . Even as a child I said no way to the stuff I was told. On sunday he rose from the dead after having walked on water was too much ,
So I then learned to read and discovered for myself what the truth is.

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

Hopefully...

40% isn't everyone, a lifetime is a long time, and a change in religious affiliation isn't necessarily a change of a religious association.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20941
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.