Agnostic.com

20 3

What to do when in a full slump?

What do you do when you feel like your life, in general, is stagnant?

Career, relationships (or lack thereof), etc?

bmchizzle 5 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If get all too serious about it, travel to some place with extreme poverty, Calcutta for instance. Perspective will flip fast.

Three little letters... But twice haha
LSD
DMT
If you don't find the answers you seek then only physical change can help.

Well I've been in a perpetual slump when it comes to romantic relationships since 2014. Probably because I was depressed and was wallowing in self loathing. Only recently have I improved. I started going to the gym about a month ago, and quit smoking. I feel much better. It also helps that I've been surrounded by friends and family who are always talking up my strong points thus improving my self esteem. So I guess I hit the gym and hang out with people who like me lol.

Remind my self everyday is a great day to be alive

I try to do at least one thing I fear and then one nice thing for myself. Small steps.

When I'm feeling glum or depressed, I can usually break the negative thought-train by just doing something -- anything that will get my mind off my problems. Simply getting out into the world and being around other people can help to raise my spirits. Other things that help me get my mind off my troubles include coming onto Agnostic.com, listening to music, or talking with a close friend.

I have been an independent researcher since I could read. I sometimes get in a glum, grey mood that can be difficult to shake.
I started with the physical sciences and after a decade or two I realized that technical answers can be easy vs. Human solutions. So I study philosophy, religion, the psychological and social sciences along with History now. When I get ridden down by life or the day, I return to the physical sciences, usually Physics or Biology to reground myself in the possible, and the clockwork beauty and simplicity of the universe. Keeping expansive and open to learning, beauty and pleasure that is the only cure I am certain of.

Being here has been helpful! 🙂

I'd celebrate, stagnant would be a major improvement!

Kimba Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

Do something different

Ride it out I guess

I look at why and then take the necessary steps to change it. But sometimes stagnant is a good thing.

interrupt your daily routine. get up early, start different. shake it up, if only a little bit.

MOVE!

Get up and get out. Walk drive meet people talk. Stop spending time alone. Put your phone down. Accept the invitation you just got to watch the super bowl. It doesn't matter if you like the game or the teams or not. Ask anyone who they are rooting for and bet $20 on the other team. Root for them poke fun of the other guys. Eat wings, Salsa, drink beer. Go be part of that community for a few hours.

Realize that you have options. Try to develop options (conversations with goid friend and family members are useful). Then decide which option you are attracted to. Once a selection is made commit fully! ‘Hope this helps

Look for something that you can accomplish and DO IT! The important thing to stir yourself into action, and keep moving.

Oh, lady. Great question. Glad you asked. I could chat about this forever. But the motivation to actually make a change? In my experience, it often takes a 'boom' moment. That can be a positive moment, but in my life it has actually been harder stuff. Loss of a relationship, job or rough financial news. The good news is - now with distance - just making the decision and making the change has been soo good in the longer term. So, example, three years ago I decided to stop trying to make some friendships work. Dug deep, asked what I liked to do before I became so intertwined with that community. Started doing what I enjoyed. It was lonely at first. Three years later, I have reconnected with or found people who are positive influences in my life. And it's fun. Does that make sense?

Honestly, I usually go off the rails for a short while. I'll be hedonistic for a couple of weeks and see what comes out of the chaos!

Let it stay stagnant for so long that I go insane. Then make a bunch of radical life changes over night. Which always just leaves me cleaning up the mess of who I was while I simultaneously try and build the new person I want to be. Sometimes it has worked other times it did not. Standing still can feel nice but if your legs move then sometimes you just gotta walk.

Pick myself up... get spiffy and go dancing. Changes my mood quick and painless without any medication.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.