Agnostic.com

8 0

What is the most important thing you do for the betterment of the planet?

What is the most important thing you do for the betterment of the planet which is not part of a paid job. (Unless your job is a $40K NPO gig when you could have had a 6-figure corporate salary) and why do you do it? My bit is avocational alternative transportation advocacy, primarily to reduce lung disease.

andygee 7 Oct 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Deny the existence of God

not reproducing.

I'm a long time vegetarian.

Freeman - the fact that you don't realize the extreme damage that the meat industry causes the planet , leaves me unmotivated to attempt to enlighten ...

I plant trees and plants.

I do lots of things. I recycle, u use public transit, I am slowly converting the lighting in the house to LED lights. I never litter. I volunteer for beach cleanups, While waiting fo public transit I'll pick up trash in the area, we grow some of our food, we use cloth bags at the grocery store, and do my best to just ry to live environmentally friendly.

They finally got the LED bulbs right; every incandescent that burns out in our apartment get replaced with an LED. If the next billion bulbs to burn out were replaced with LEDs it would obviate 30 coal-fired power plants.

Yesterday, I just replace the florescent light in the kitchen with an LED light. We gat 25% more light for 35% less energy. The florescent fixture was kind of hinky ever since we had an upstairs plumbing problem which leaked through the fixture. The fixture delined to a point where it only lit the bulbs halfway, which to me meant the florescent igniters probably went bad. The fixture used U-shaped bulbs so it also cost about $20 a piece to replace those bulbs. The LED light should last for 50,000 hours of use. No more bulb replacement. No more buzzing light. No more flickering.

The hardest part was finding an LED fixture that would give enough light for the kitchen and would flush mount... and cover up the holes left by the other fixture.

I hate LEDs. Now I have to look at LED TV billboards. Now the streetlights are so damned bright, there's no nighttime. I got an LED porch light that I had to shade to reduce the light trespass.
Human beings seldom have the wisdom to use power (of any kind) wisely. Don't let them play with matches.

@jawolffie LEDs are rated in terms of brightness and color (shade of white).

I prefer LCD TVs. LED means it is back lit, which you really dont' need, and it is oen mroe thing tha can go wrong. When TVs are pretty much solid state, oen thing that goes rong cn men you need a new TV. I try not to get features I really don't need, like 3-D or LED back lighting.

I focus on the environment by volunteering for a master naturalist program in my area. All projects are secular supported and based in scientific research.
A master naturalist observes, documents, reports and attemps to share through education and advocacy based in science through presenting the perspectives on the situation.
I find urban ecology, how we plan and build then try to bring a bit of the wild lands back into the area very fadcinating.

People who can imagine nothing more glorious than the end of the world, and that all the really important stuff in life begins after we die, are never going to make a future worth living.
We're not going to get anywhere while our dominant ideolgies are imaginary and apocalyptic.
So I think undermining religion and replacing it with a reality-based worldview in the most seminal thing to do. The end of faith might seem like a quixotic goal... but remember the Abolitionists, few of whom expected to end de jure slavery in their lifetimes.

This is a great reply. Exactly on point. I hope we can make more atheist resources, support groups and lobbying efforts to reduce the impact religion has on our lives. We will progress much faster and fairer if we can do this.

Oh, yes, the James Watt effect. "If there's one tree left standing when the rapture comes, it would be a waste."

I vote for representatives that promote policies protecting the environment, equality, and peace.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2101
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.