Agnostic.com

4 1

Should Supreme Court Justices serve a limited term? Why or why not?

Following the model that other countries have, particularly in latin-america, Supreme Court Justices usually serve between 8-16 years in office. This is in place to curb corruption from getting in higher places of government. One of my relatives lives in South America, was a Supreme Court Judge and worked particularly in Human Rights. He recently had to step down due to reaching retirement age (75). Should we try something like this in the United States? An 8 year term limit, and an age limit of 75?

JamesA91 5 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Retirement age yes .Term limits no.No term limits because if they are relatively young when their time is up they would base their decisions on their future job prospects.Inother words they would be worrying about who would hire them because of their past views and decisions etc.An age limit would be more appropriate

Very good point.

That is a good point, I did not see it from that perspective.

It would be good if they forced them to retire at age 75 or 80. That way Trump could appoint some more conservative judges!! I’d particularly like to get rid of Ginburg and Breyer.

Canada has a mandatory retirement at the age of 75 and are not appointed by the Prime minister thus keeping it non partisan.

There should be mandatory term limits at all levels of government. Having these out-of-touch career politicians on both sides of the aisle is ridiculous.

Interesting, who then is in charge of appointing the justices? That's a distinguishing factor, because its usually the job of the president in most countries.

I certainly agree with you on a term-limit for all politicians.

@JamesAnthony The Governor General who is the queens representative in Canada makes the appointment and there is a specific quota to make sure all provinces are fairly represented.

@Green_eyes Wow that's impressive, probably has something to do with it's parliament system of government.

Yes there should be term limits on the court and in the Congress. Given the last few decades, the reasons are obvious.

If so, in the US it would become the dominant factor in about every presidential election. I’d say leave it as is… The thing is, Congress can override the Supreme Court, if necessary; so hopefully, it’ll only get so bad in the USA..

Varn Level 8 Oct 28, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210274
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.