Agnostic.com

3 8

What Happens When You Treat Opioid Addiction Like a Natural Disaster?

In rural Snohomish County, Washington State.

[npr.org]

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was nice to read that they are handling the problem so intelligently and most importantly, with care and compassion.

The war on drugs needs to become treatment and education focused. Locking up users has done absolutely nothing for the last 50 years except ruined lives and destroyed families more so than the drugs themselves.

This is wonderful to hear. A real solution to the problem instead of a band aid or attempt to push it under the rug.

I was listening to part of this on the way home this morning. This plague of addiction is going to take a lot of time, money and effort to get under control. I have had at least two family members, my cousins kids die, either from suicide or overdose suicide. I’ve also had an ex-cop basically wonder why the government spends all this money keeping junkies alive, why not just let them die? My guess is, he would feel differently if it was his daughter that had gotten addicted.

Law enforcement gets tired of dealing with it all the time, and tired of seeing what they tend to perceive as the selfishness of addicts and the carnage it wreaks on their loved ones. Also I suspect they may understand on some level that they're the wrong people to be dealing with it, that what they do is a waste of time because it's not criminality but an illness.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.