Agnostic.com

34 2

Are there novels that changed the way you think?

There are novels that opened my mind to new and fascinating ideas. For me it was Dune, Stranger in a Strange land, Foundation trilogy (psycohistory is totally cool), Conversation with Don Juan, and Man of La Mancha (hopeless romantic).
Has this happened to you?

ForestDweller 4 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

my daughter found a book one time and came to me with it, saying 'dad, you might like this. its got chapters.' the book was 'that dark and bloody river' and it made the most drastic change to my way of thinking since the bible. it charts the ohio river valley, from pittsburgh to st. louis and all the attrocities that occured there over several hundred years.

I read "Stranger in a Strange Land" when I was about 13. I think it was my first "grown-up" book. It most definitely changed the way I thought about religion. I realized that I wasnt the only one doubting an omnipotent, infallible deity.

Della Level 6 Oct 31, 2018

I think I've read all the Heinleins, but Moon is a Harsh Mistress is one I still think about now and then.

Two from Lawrence Krauss;
The Physics of Star Trek.
and A universe from nothing.

A Brief History of Time from Steven Hawking.

Pale Blue Dot: Vision of the Human Future in Space by Carl Sagan.

there are probably a few others, but i can't remember atm.

Have you watched Krause and Dawkins discuss life on YouTube?

@ForestDweller Oh yes, both of them. Plus the movie; The Non Believers. That was pretty good as well.

To kill a mockingbird,stranger in a strange land, shogun.

"For me it was Dune, Stranger in a Strange land, Foundation trilogy "
.. > all of those were awesome but the by far biggest influence was Stranger in a Strange land

Have you read the new edition released after Heinlein died?

@ForestDweller I don't think so?!

@hippydog
It's Heinlein's original unabridged version. If I remember correctly, upon his death his heirs retain his rights and can release in a new version.

"Novels" do/did not change my way of thinking...they are by definition, fiction.

In my observations, science fiction allows the author the means to discuss taboo subjects.

And, in reality, what's not fiction. Our very existence is fiction.

The Age of Reason - Thomas Paine
Freakonomics - Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
The Creature from Jeckyl Island - G. Edward Griffin

Thomas Paine. Not read, but sounds like I should.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:211887
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.