Agnostic.com

6 3

QUESTION Meditation doesn't make you better

NOT a study but a meta-analysis.

All the same, an eye opener for those that claim that meditation can make you a better person. It seems the only guaranteed way to be a better person... is to actively find ways to BE a better person.

From the article:

"However further analysis revealed that it played no significant role in reducing aggression or prejudice or improving how socially-connected someone was.

The most unexpected result of this study, though, was that the more positive results found for compassion had important methodological flaws—compassion levels in some studies only increased if the meditation teacher was also an author of the published report.

Overall, these results suggest that the moderate improvements reported by psychologists in previous studies may be the result of methodological weaknesses and biases, said the researchers."

TheMiddleWay 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Listen to this and tell me you don't feel like a better person afterward. xD

For real though, I think it comes down to the person. I know people who meditate who are in essence immoral people. They treat people like crap and don't care about the well-being of others, but I think many of them are more interested in the moral high ground they feel it gives them.

I have an anxiety disorder, and just for me, it has transformed my life. I do believe it makes me a better person because I've always already been a compassionate person. Unlike many I talk to, there is not one person I hate, and I've been dicked over pretty hard by people who claimed to be very close to me. I do believe that we are all victims of our own conditions and biology, and that I would likely do exactly what other people do, even the ones whose actions are totally immoral and disgusting to me. I'm lucky, not superior, but my anxiety used to frazzle me to the point that I wouldn't express this belief as much. I also stick up for myself and my way of life more. I used to be very apologetic and non-confrontational. Meditation gave me the clarity to approach every moment more cognizant of my own well-being and goals as well as others. Still not perfect, but I'm a lot happier and can do a lot more than I used to.

Thanks for sharing that. 🙂

I had never in my life done anything because I am in the belief that it will make me "better". I can not even define a better me sometimes. But before I die I will be happy with making a "researcher" disappear of this plane of the living we live in... for the sake of research and satisfy a curiosity in me.

I haven ever meditated, but sometimes I think about meditating.

Interesting. I don’t think meditation has made me a better person but I suspect it may have saved my life a time or two. Minds capable of self-destructive thoughts sometimes need an off switch.

skado Level 9 Feb 5, 2018

Back in the day, when i learned to meditate, I never thought it would make me a better person, but instead slow my thinking down, so that I could 'see' where I was going! It did help to relax muscle tension. But, I never recall believing that it would help make me a better person. That was always my job... intentionally! I do have a friend, now in her 90s, with Alzheimer, that treated meditation like a religion. Over, the 50yrs that I have known her, I cannot say if she became a better person, as she was never a bad person to began with. I think it is better, to get lost in something that your heart is totally committed to...that is meditation that supports our nature.

Luckily I don't meditate to be a better person. I meditate to get into a mindful (present tense) state in order to de-stress. When I am de-stressed, I am entirely unlikely to scream like a banshee and dig your eyes out with jagged fingernsils. Winners all around.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21206
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.